BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went fishing yesterday, taking along my friend Brenda and her 5yr old and 11yr old boys. I had my hands full all day. The youngest kept trying to climb out of the damn boat while it was on plane at 22kts. The kid must be smarter than we realized.

Anyway, the kids caught three ladyfish, four catfish, one pufferfish (I could tell it was a pufferfish; it had the same brand of cig as Chunking's hanging out of its surly mouth like a lit fuse), one nice jewfish grouper, two gag groupers and one medium sized jack. All on 12 lb spinning gear using live "swimp" ("Shrimp" as pronounced in Louisiana).

Meanwhile Brenda and I killed a bottle of Pinot Grigio and watched the kids have fun. The conditions were choppy, windy, water was chocolate with silt. No Mangrove Snappers despite my best efforts to get us on the meat.

Catch-All

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Any chance a goliath could be crusing the intracoastal??

Locked up with something around a bridge at night, stayed down BIG head shakes. With 50 pond PP I could NOT budge it. Went on for about 10 minutes. Really did not move at all. Tried heading down stream under the pilings. Snapped off. Live shrimp

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Juvenile Jewfish hang inside all the time. They only head offshore when they get bigger. Say.... about the size of a Volkswagen!

Catch-All

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Alrighty then

Any tips on bridge fishing / landing these guys?? A guy had said that while fishing, but honestly he had a few in'em so thought it just might have been the Natural Light. I have locked into a very productive bridge up here near Daytona and would love to target these fish. It is a bit different as you know then walking a 20 pound striper to shore or bridge gaffing it. Are they edible?? Limits??

·
Registered
540 Posts
Dr Bass - no keeping any jewfish / goliaths. But what do I know Im in OC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts