BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i'm thinking of trying to give the fort a try,on friday from the surf. my son wants to try,this is his first striper trip.does anybody knows if anything is happen down there? and what is good to bring down for bait...the last time i was there i used bloods,and got a few. how about bunker? and also i need to find tides down there. thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
gomer there has been very few fish caught so far and no keepers that i know of.i fish there in the early season and have done pretty good at times.i only use blood worms and only fish 2hrs before high tide and 2hrs after.good luck to you and your son.ill be there sat or sun i drive a black f 150 pick up stop and say hello.

·
Registered
938 Posts
heres a little help, if i may suggest.

i found a neat web site that gives weather,tides ect... for that area.
delawarebayfishing.info It looks like high tide is right around 9:00am friday so for this time of the year, thats a good thing.
as for as bait goes, bloods are a good choice and there are reports of mullet balls in the bay.
now the reality of it all, the fish are just and i do mean JUST starting to become active. so, with this fact in mind, and with this being your sons first trip, let me suggest this. (now your going to have to do some selling here and yes, i have two boys myself,and about the same age as yours.)
I would sell the excitement af the journey/adventure. what i mean by that is get him involved with the layers of clothes he needs, get him involved with getting the tackel box together, the rods and rigs. all of that stuff. the excitement of prepairing for the journey. If he has one of those "game boys" let him bring it along.
On the way there, stop at a WaWa and let him get all the junk food he wants. ( and even if you are a dentist, DON'T tell him to brush and floss!)
remember its the excitement of the journey. And if by chance he accidently closes the door of your car/truck and breaks the tip off your brand new Penn Rod. Your going to have to bite your toung and say "thats ok, we have a spare rod here" make it fun trip no matter what.
and if you happen to catch a fish along the way, that will be just iceing on the cake.

if you sell the idea of the excitement of the journey itself, you'll have a fishing buddy for life!

hope this helps.

LONEWOLF856 :cool:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey lonewolf, thanks alot for all the info. it sounds like you had fun with the little ones too. we didn't do any good just one catfish, but on the way homei asked my son if he would like to do this again. and he said yes, even he didn't catch anything. thanks again. thanks again for everybodys,info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
kids fishing derbies

Keep an eye open for some of the Kids Only saltwater HOF-NOD fishing derbies. There is one in AC another on LBI hosted by the LBIFC, another in Brigantine and the NJBBA has one on IBSP. These derbies are set up to help kids learn how to surf fish and everyone gets some kind of goodies/food. They are usually held from July thru Sept.
HOF-NOD works!!:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks Big. I wold have never thaught of that. I thought it was another fishing ground in the bay like Mia Mauhl. I might go down on friday weather per or sat. Thanks again Big for the info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts