BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a SIK and I'm going to upgrade to a bigger yak this season. A new yak brings the age old question of SOT vs. SIK. I like my SIK because I know my ride will be dry (other than wet thighs from paddle dripping). I would not like a wet rear end while fishing.

Do the SOT yaks provide a totally dry ride? I only fish in ponds / lakes.

·
Registered
13,999 Posts
usually no, in my experience. BUT, in my case I have an OK Malibu II and leave the scupper holes open. I think if the scuppers were plugged, it would be a dry ride on still water, save again for paddle drips (which can be prevented to a degree via the drip stops), or for wave splash in wind chop... but I wouldn't think you'd be out often in those conditions anyway.

the convenience of pulling up to a bar and swinging my legs out etc is nice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
you can plug the scupper holes with scupper plugs, but if you take on any water it will not drain, so i always leave mine open, i have an ocean kayak drifter that has a wet ride so i bought a kayak seat that has a 3" padded bottom to get you out of the water, it works great and is very comfy, just do a search for a drifter seat , it should work for every sot yak out there

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My Outback keeps my but dry but my Revolution gets wet both are use without plugging the scuppers.

So it depends on your weight and the yak.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well if it depends on weight I'm screwed. I'm not a "lightweight". I really want the Pro Angler but I cant justify the cost. I also need something that I can throw in my Thule "J style" carriers on my Honda accord and I don't think I could do that the Pro Angler. I'm leaning toward the Wilderness Systems Commander 120. Anybody here have any experience with that boat?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.