BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those south of LE - when did the bass show outside last year? I am sick of playing with mojo rigs 9ers and bunker spoons in the garage....

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Good question. I’m not waiting on the answer. I’ve been catching bass for over 4 weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Consistent bass in AC area usually around X- Giving.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
what he said (y) I heard that a few bass were caught trolling out of LEI last weekend.....nothing spectacular just a few on tandem mo jo's. Same guy also saw some ghosts busting on top in 65ft of water.
Troll at least 1 umbrella rig with tubes, they've been feeding on sand eels not bunker up north. Even the big ones were hitting tubes and nothing on mojo's

·
Registered
266 Posts
what he said (y) I heard that a few bass were caught trolling out of LEI last weekend.....nothing spectacular just a few on tandem mo jo's. Same guy also saw some ghosts busting on top in 65ft of water.
Good finally an excuse to crack out the stella

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
BEACH Replenishment has resulted in the loss of the inshore sand lumps inside 3 mile critical to Bass migration . The bulk of the migrating stock will speed by South Jersey OUTSIDE the 3 mile limit once water temps begin to drop fast up north as they won't find as many productive bait holding lumps inside 3 miles, They will rush down to Carolina's for the winter and warmer water and lots of food in preparation for Spring spawn. There is a resident population in some Jersey rivers,Delaware for sure along with Mullica that has kept the Jersey population steady........2 things happen with resident bass.#1 Water temps over 70 slows them down, IF they stay in rivers and back bays their food results in small bottom stuff.as they are not aggressive #2..Many river fish will more offshore into deeper and cooler water.and return when water temps begin to drop. and stuff themselves with big stuff for the winter in JERSEY waters...This is my theory and I'm sticking to it as it is based on 10,000 plus of my 21,000 plus tagged fish being Bass .Returned tag results are supplying evidence......ALSO as Beach Replenishment continues we will see BASS STOCKS slowly go down as Beach Replenishment is slowly filling in inshore waterways killing productive bottoms which produce the spawning areas of the Bass Food. I have seen a report from a River that I won't mentioned that indicated beach sand has been found in his river bottom 5-6 miles up the river...Beach sand getting into rivers capable providing spawning areas is a death sentence...BASS spawn in Rivers way up in FRESH water ,Eggs have to float for 60-72 hours in FRESH WATER before hatching ..River bottoms MUST be healthy and muddy NOT sandy for young bass to survive and develop.. Sand ,especially sand that came from offshore dredging is sterile once it arrives on beach. I could go on but my blood pressure is rising thinking how politicians are destroying Saltwater fishing Have a wonderful evening a tight lines
PS--If catch a fish will a tag ,take the time to send information in...RED tag is usually US Wildlife ,Yellow tag is American Littoral Society....The data is critical and much needed THANKS

·
Registered
13,270 Posts
Willie my buddy I had on the boat today said he caught a flounder that you likely tagged. I told him to send in the tag.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I don’t think there are as many Bass migrating by our shores like there once were. When I take my boat offshore, which I do from May to November, I see bait everywhere but I never see Stripers . I see bait on the surface, I see bait on the sonar, sometimes I see bait in my sleep. The most common bait I see are adult Bunker, but at times the Rainfish and Sand Eels are prevalent. This is probably why we’re seeing more and more whales close to shore but maybe that’s just my observation. The fall back bay fishery remains strong thou around the Ocean City area although the size doesn‘t seem to be what it once was.

·
Registered
75,064 Posts
BUCKTAIL as always great read.
Unfortunately my favorite Fall spot (The Cape May Rips) has been damage by migrating sand caused by Beach Replenishment

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Took a quick look outside Corson’s this morning, I saw some bird play and what I thought were some breaking fish from the 56th street beach. By the time I got out there thou, no breaking fish but a lot of bait and a decent number of Gannets working within a mile. Trolled for awhile but no luck. Ran back inside where there’s a good bite on small Bass. Went 2 for 4 on 22”ers. Maybe things are about to break open off the beach.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts