BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I'm right there with ya. I may be going to maple lake tomorrow(estell manor) to try for some yellow perch. I really want to get into some Crappies but don't have a clue for the southern shore area. Keep me posted if you anything and I will do the same.
Thanks

·
Registered
384 Posts
Drummer,

Welcome to the Barn. Be careful when asking for specific "spots" to fish. Many Barner's spend years trying to keep their "spots" a secret, just an FYI for a newbie. :)

As for a suggestion, I'd take a look @ a map of South Jersey. The Mannington Meadow area is huge, very expansive, and has bank access from many county roads. White perch can be found in great numbers throughout using earthworms/nightcrawlers in the Spring. Since it's tidal, study the area in question before you venture off the beaten path. You do NOT wanna get stranded, the mosquitoes will eat you ALIVE! :eek:

Last word of caution: Once the reeds begin to grow-up in the Spring, don't consider using a boat unless you become very familiar with the area your fishing. It's like getting lost in a corn field. :rolleyes:

Best of luck!

·
Registered
707 Posts
any place along the maurice will give up white perch.
there are a few lakes that have a solid crappie population.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
MargaritaVille said:
UB, I wouldn't say anywhere along the maurice, but several deep holes and ditches tend to produce well.
I've caught some nice crappie below Almond Rd while fishing for trout just on rooster tails.

·
Registered
427 Posts
ShockerKnot - what else can you tell me about the Mannington Meadow area? I have lived in South Jersey all my life but just discovered that area playing around on MapQuest. Just by looking at the sheer size and location I assumed that it was mostly tidal. How about average depths? What other species besides white perch? Thanks!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Rootie

Sorry for the delay in responding. Jumped on a family member's 'puter while visiting in Virginia. You're correct, MM is tidal. As for species: white & yellow perch,catfish (all species),LM bass,pickeral,nice residential striper population in selected areas (nothing huge but great for the ego) :D . Most all freshwater species are around except I've never seen/heard of a single smallmouth.
Be advised, I've caught some of the biggest,thickest,nastiest, river eels you can imagine back in those waters.

I'd strongly suggest, as in my previous post, you know the area(s) you're gonna fish if/before launching a boat or small craft. Mostly the depths consist of some pretty skinny water, but there are some deeper areas available. Banks are seriously muddy, but that can warm up quickly in the Spring for some nice action. :rolleyes:

Good luck & maybe I'll see you out there sometime. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
You just may, Shockerknot, however I won't be in a boat. My aluminum cartopper died of old age and I haven't replaced it. So it will be fishing from the bank for me, but I do think I will take a day or so to try it out.

Those eels were probably females. Not only do they grow much larger than the males, but they are more likely to be found in fresh water. The smaller males seem to hang out in inlets and where rivers empty out into the bay or ocean but they also can be found in fresh water. If you ever get a chance, look into how eels migrate all the way to the Sargasso Sea to spawn and their larvae migrate back to the home river of their parents.

It's a good thing New Jersey placed a moratorium on the elver fishermen who were doing quite a bit of harm to the eel population. Especially in light of the fact that those tiny little eels swam all the way back here and then were killed by the greed of humans.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i always like to try game creek on rt 40 just before the delaware memorial bridge around #6 mile marker. There is plenty of access and a boat launch in the middle of the north/south lanes. Very good Yellow,white perch and crappie and bass too. All of the back roads have some sort of access to the steams and rivers. down in that area are very good producers of crappie.

·
Registered
768 Posts
is there bank access to launch a kayak if coming from kings highway? It looks like all private farm land. This is closer than other places i've been considering venturing too and wouldn't mind having a go at it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mannington Meadow

ShockerKnot,

I grew up duck hunting,trapping and fishing Mannington Meadow and if you don't know where you are going you best just stay home...:D
I know alot of people that lost there boat motors in that patch of heaven...
You are right about the perch, early spring is a haven for them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mannington Meadow ,east of route 540, isnt tidal. There are some nice bass and catfish and some giant carp. Ive hunted and fished the freshwater side for a long time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts