BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the thing on NJDEP which stated that the only 2 water bodies in all of south jersey to receive these 5lb trophy trout were: Shaws Mill in Cedarville and Birch Grove Park Pond in Northfield.

I found out by word of mouth (with photographic evidence) that they also put broodstock in the Cohansey in between Seely and Silver Lake rd. I'm not worried about blowin up spot, because it can't get anymore blown up than it already is.

Now my questions are #1 why was this not reported, neither before nor after, by NJDEP? and #2 How many other spots are secretly stocked with these broodstock?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I read the thing on NJDEP which stated that the only 2 water bodies in all of south jersey to receive these 5lb trophy trout were: Shaws Mill in Cedarville and Birch Grove Park Pond in Northfield.

I found out by word of mouth (with photographic evidence) that they also put broodstock in the Cohansey in between Seely and Silver Lake rd. I'm not worried about blowin up spot, because it can't get anymore blown up than it already is.

Now my questions are #1 why was this not reported, neither before nor after, by NJDEP? and #2 How many other spots are secretly stocked with these broodstock?

It is not a secret. In addition to Bonus Broodstock Lakes, every truck load has a certain percentage of broodstock.
In a normal year it is 2% breeders in each truck load until they run out – Preseason to week 2 or 3 or so.

This year, due to furunculosis, it was totally different.

Broodstock weights are highly variable. Males weigh considerably less on average than the females. But there is still variation in the sexes as well. The range is about 4-8 lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy who was dumping them in the Cohansey said they were all mixed together in the truck and it was too hard to control which places received how many and because Shaws Mill was the last stop on his route, whatever extra % of broodstock it was supposed to receive probably was not going to happen.

So say it's not secret, it's just random and beyond their control. That's fine with me, but so why do they differentiate it in the NJDEP Trout Stocking Schedule? They put it in there like it's B&W info, when apparently there's too much "gray" area for them to control.

Ok, so it's not secret or lying, but it is certainly deceptive. They are pretty ticky tack about everything else; how many fish stocked per acre, prohibited, seasonal and open clamming areas, how many inches this has to be or how many #'s of that, etc.

So say I live directly in the middle of 2 trout stocked areas: Cohansey & Mary Elmer lake, 2 minutes away from each. I go onto the website, see the 5+lbers advertised at Shaws Mill and drive a half hour out of my way. I could have gone 2 minutes away to the Cohansey, which could possibly have just as many broodstock as Shaws Mill. Could I have gone to Mary Elmer and caught a 5lber? Who knows? The guy on the truck is the only one who knows for sure and he probably doesn't even know. There is a chance that not 1 went into Mary Elmer.

I also read online that tiger muskie were stocked in DOD a few years back and then somebody comments "DOD was stocked with muskie before the "advertised" stocking and several other places "off the books" for years.

Isn't this also deceptive? They act like they have all their i's dotted and t's crossed, but in all actuality they do things willy nilly? If they can't keep em (broodstock) separated enough to control their distribution, then why bother saying anything?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
If you've ever stocked trout, it's basically whatever you get in your net goes into the lake (or stream). The trucks carry a certain number of average fish and brookstock for multiple locations in one truck tank. The "average" size and amount of trout stocked in a certain waterbody, as posted on the FWG website, is only a rough guide. It's really up to the guy with the net to decide what goes in where. I've stocked several times, and since time is an issue, we weren't counting out the fish that were going into the lakes. It was like "10 netfulls" go in this lake and we have 10 minutes to do it, whether a "netfull" had 3 trout or 10. So, the numbers stocked per lake, and the size stocked, are highly variable. Float stocking was a different story, since you're in the water with the fish and they aren't under as much stress as they are when thrown from the truck due to time constraints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.