BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to new plugs, for a 115 Johnson, been on sites where there 4 bucks and paid 12 a piece last year,

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
ebay............

Spark plugs for my ETEC are $16.99 on the Evinrude site, but $6.75 on ebay. Same exact plug.

·
Registered
16,136 Posts
Did you try Amazon all you need is the plug specs.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I second the local autoparts store or marine engine parts online...I bought plugs for my Merc and Yammies (2) yesterday..got the set for the merc and 1 set of yammies plugs at Conway's auto..they charged me $6.65 each for the yammie plugs...stopped at a local yammie dealer to get the other set...looked at my receipt when I got home and they banged me $12.65 per plug...ouch..never buying plugs at a deal again...

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Looking to new plugs, for a 115 Johnson, been on sites where there 4 bucks and paid 12 a piece last year,
clubplug.net

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Plugs are plugs... There is no such thing as a "marine" spark plug. Get the number off the plug and buy it from anywhere that is the cheapest. Sparkplug. com used to be good, but there you are paying shipping. Some auto parts store will sell them by the box cheaper. You might need to buy 2-3 boxes of 6 or 8 to get the right number for couple of changes, but it's not like they go bad and extras on a boat used to be normal.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
for years i paid out the behind for spark plugs at west marine and then one day i checked out a autoparts store and they had the exact same plugs for 3 bucks a plug. haven't been back to west marine for spark plugs since.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I have paid 12-14 dollars a plug plus 1/2 hours mechanic charge to install by my mechanic. This season I had boat in the driveway and did it myself. Plugs were 6.30 each and it took me 20 minutes to install. I am going to start doing any work I am capable of, just can't afford it anymore.

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
I never bought plugs from a marine outlet they always over charge. Would take them to napa or any good autoparts store and they would match them up at a 1/3 the price

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
While your at the auto part store get your 4 stroke oil filters , oil, and your 90 wheight lower unit oil. Its the same stuff. Yamaha does not have a factory that makes $20 oil filters. They are buying them from FRAM or some other major manufacturer. I get everything at Walmart.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
While your at the auto part store get your 4 stroke oil filters , oil, and your 90 wheight lower unit oil. Its the same stuff. Yamaha does not have a factory that makes $20 oil filters. They are buying them from FRAM or some other major manufacturer. I get everything at Walmart.
No problem with getting plugs, motor oil or gear oil, just make sure you get the right stuff for marine application. You might want to look into buying cheap auto filters for your boat though. I have heard more than once(not sure it's true) marine oil filters are a little different, they allow for more flow and pressure than an auto. You don't run your car constantly at 4200rpms like you do with your outboard. For a couple extra bucks once a year I'll stick with my Honda marine filter. BTW the Honda blocks on the outboards are the same as depending on HP, Accord/CRV/Odyssey/Element/TSX engine/Ridgeline/Inspire/MDX/RL/TL. But the numbers for the oil filters are not the same..

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I have a stockpile of Toyota filters from my days as a GM tech (Geo)....and they cross reference to most Yami's and Hondas, and my yamamerc. I'll keep using them until I see proof they are different. I use them on my motorcycles too.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
When you are buying oil for your 4 stoke outboards I recommend you stick with OEM marine oils. Yes the lube qualities are the same, but marine 4 stroke oils have additives in them to keep them in place longer. Your car/truck gets driven almost daily. Your outboard/inboard probably sits much longer between uses. Its probably a good place to waste those few extra bucks. There can also be big differences between oil filters.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts