BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why are there so many different kinds of spark plugs? why do i have to buy so many different kinds for my motors? i am definately no motor head and know very little about motors of any kind, but yesterday i headed out to get plugs for my motors and they are all different and the fact that i had some of the numbers wrong did not help matters either. now i can go out back and start firing theses motors up and then replace all these different plugs! bb

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
brown bob said:
why are there so many different kinds of spark plugs? why do i have to buy so many different kinds for my motors? i am definately no motor head and know very little about motors of any kind, but yesterday i headed out to get plugs for my motors and they are all different and the fact that i had some of the numbers wrong did not help matters either. now i can go out back and start firing theses motors up and then replace all these different plugs! bb
Different heat ranges and it has to be right especially on alum outboards. Too hot and you can melt holes in piston tops, too cold and they'll load up and fowl at idling rpms. That Johnson uses Champion QL78YC. The Etec shouldn't need plugs yet??

Mercs and Yams run best with NGK's, OMC/Bomb Champions..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Have you seen the new ones called puslstar I think. They list for something like $26 each. Supposed to have some fancy new way of increasing the spark energy. Damned expensive thats for sure. Here is the link in case you want to take a look. http://www.pulstarplug.com/

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Jerry Anton said:
Have you seen the new ones called puslstar I think. They list for something like $26 each. Supposed to have some fancy new way of increasing the spark energy. Damned expensive thats for sure. Here is the link in case you want to take a look. http://www.pulstarplug.com/
Well, I don't see anything on that web site for outboard engines..thank god.. After all the outboards that those Splitfires trashed it's a good thing. Before anyone uses non recommended plugs in any outboard make sure the company you are buying them from will replace your powerhead if they start melting holes thru the piston tops.

Like I said before it's not a good idea to be experimenting with spark plugs in outboards. With the high rpms and loads they run under bad things happen quicker than with a car/truck engine thats only working at 20-25% capacity maintaining 65-70mph in the wind.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Dunk said:
Well, I don't see anything on that web site for outboard engines..thank god.. After all the outboards that those Splitfires trashed it's a good thing. Before anyone uses non recommended plugs in any outboard make sure the company you are buying them from will replace your powerhead if they start melting holes thru the piston tops.

Like I said before it's not a good idea to be experimenting with spark plugs in outboards. With the high rpms and loads they run under bad things happen quicker than with a car/truck engine thats only working at 20-25% capacity maintaining 65-70mph in the wind.
can't say it any better

·
Registered
248 Posts
johnny d said:
Dunk
Is it true about being sure the plugs have resistors? if not it could damage the Power pac.
You are on the right track but it is SUPRESSORS that are required not resistors.

Suppressors restrict the passage of AC current but allow DC current to pass easily. They have a resistance of only about 40 ohms.

A resistor plug has about 5000 ohms resistance and restricts both AC and DC current from passing through. In an OMC/BRP motor, you will get a weaker and a shorter duration spark due to the resistor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts