BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with bass post spawn going around areas, it was slow bass fishing for early June (for some folks that is). That doesn't deter me from trying to catch fish. I worked hard that morning not able to get a bass off the lilies, via topwater frog, so i switched over to bluegill fishing.

These pan fish are now spawning (or getting ready to spawn as they have a longer window of spawning than bass). Some of them are smart and reuse some of the bass beds as their own. others will hug the shorelines and other shallow coves. Some will be in huge schools that turns a cove into crazy spawning ground, making it looks like the moon even! Any how, I went out to catch some of these fun fish and you can get them in good sizes right now. As usual, all fish were returned since it's their spawning cycle. It was still fun on some lighter tackle and line.

I used 1/16th oz Jig and Bass Pro Shop Curly Tail Minnow. they say they are 2 inches, but it's more like 1 inch. I think they accounted the entire length plus the curly tail as part of their length. Great day on the water for sure!

As usual, enjoy the video

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff! Pound for pound, as they say... We hit the spawn in Canada this year for the first time in a long time. They are fun on the right tackle!
for sure, if i had my UL and 2lb test line, it would be fun all day! but never know when that pickerel comes by and takes your jig LOL

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Big bluegills on the fly rod are a blast. They can fight almost as well as a bass. Especially in current.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
BTW, I like all the videos and your enthusiasm for even small fish. Keep it up!

Also that lake has some pretty good smallie action. Fish it early in the morning on the other side of the bridge if you can sneak under.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Big bluegills on the fly rod are a blast. They can fight almost as well as a bass. Especially in current.
Sweet, what do you recommend using? i got an old 6wt rod, might have to get new line or leader and some lures to play with :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I like all the videos and your enthusiasm for even small fish. Keep it up!

Also that lake has some pretty good smallie action. Fish it early in the morning on the other side of the bridge if you can sneak under.
thx! and wahh? smallies in here?

I got under it, but not without running into spiders :(

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Use small beadhead nymphs. Doesn't really matter which pattern because 'gills aren't too picky. Anything from #12 to #16 will work like a charm. They like the little flashy bead and usually hit it while moving. Let it sink a bit to their level then jig it back in slowly.

If you want some real fun put on a foam spider or tiny popper, then get 'em on top! A 6wt is a little heavy but will work just fine. I like using my 2wt on them.

And yes the first time I saw a smallie caught there I was shocked, then I learned from a local they stocked that place a few years ago with them. Not sure if they've done it again since, but there seems to be a decent population of them in there. All nice size, 3lb+. They were probably "extras" from a Union Lake stocking. It's not a deep pond at all, so it's odd why they chose it to stock, but they seem to be doing ok. Doubt they are successfully spawning though, water is too acidic. Go out in the calm misty early mornings and get them on top in the pads, before that nasty algae gets too thick later in the summer. Now is a really good time of year for that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
find it hard to believe the state put smallmouth in a lake that shallow(less than 6 feet max). and with all that all that tanic acid in the water.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I was doubtful too until I saw them being caught next to me. And I've gotten tons of smallies in my life, so it's not mistaken ID. It also wasn't a one-time sighting either. Have caught and seen them caught several times I've been there. They are also not just in the deeper lake channel, I've gotten them in the shallower spots too. I'm as shocked as anyone else about it, but I can't deny reality. I've researched the origin of these fish and have yet to find anything, but there they are. I can only surmise they arrived as extras from another stocking (it does happen), and the only place I know that gets stocked with them anywhere nearby is Union. Since they seem to be doing well in Union and elsewhere in the river, maybe this pond isn't as acidic as we think?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Use small beadhead nymphs. Doesn't really matter which pattern because 'gills aren't too picky. Anything from #12 to #16 will work like a charm. They like the little flashy bead and usually hit it while moving. Let it sink a bit to their level then jig it back in slowly.

If you want some real fun put on a foam spider or tiny popper, then get 'em on top! A 6wt is a little heavy but will work just fine. I like using my 2wt on them.

And yes the first time I saw a smallie caught there I was shocked, then I learned from a local they stocked that place a few years ago with them. Not sure if they've done it again since, but there seems to be a decent population of them in there. All nice size, 3lb+. They were probably "extras" from a Union Lake stocking. It's not a deep pond at all, so it's odd why they chose it to stock, but they seem to be doing ok. Doubt they are successfully spawning though, water is too acidic. Go out in the calm misty early mornings and get them on top in the pads, before that nasty algae gets too thick later in the summer. Now is a really good time of year for that.
cool beans! well.. looks like i will keep fishing this gem.. lol...

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Just hit it before the algae glop gets too thick. It gets pretty bad in mid-summer, nearly unfishable, even with weedless plastics. Spring, fall, and winter are best.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just hit it before the algae glop gets too thick. It gets pretty bad in mid-summer, nearly unfishable, even with weedless plastics. Spring, fall, and winter are best.
The black hair... reminds me of the RING!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts