BASS BARN banner

spearguns?

3K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  vannstandsmerke 
#1 ·
what would be the best gun for jumping in at pots for mahi and maybe like triggers and bass around the bouys like right off the beach. but more for the pots and mahi? thanks in advance

#3 · (Edited)
Just got into spearfishing last summer. This is the gun I bought after reading various threads on the barn and other sites.

Its a JBL 38 Special Magnum. It is definitely a beginner gun, but its a great starting point. I have never used it trying to spring Mahi off the pots, but inshore wise, fluke tautog, bass you shouldn't have any issues. I have also heard good things about Mako spearguns. Shoot me an email if you have any questions.

#7 · (Edited)
I love JBL's. I have a 42'' JBL Comp. mag. I have had it for over 15 years and it still works great. I up sized the bands and even though it is a mother to cock it is worth it on the bigger fish. I am flying out on Fri. to visit my mom in Fl. and I hope to get out and do some killing. Since Grouper and Red Snapper are out of season down there now I am going to be looking to shoot some Cobia and snatch up some Lobster. I just hope the weather holds out for me. Everytime I go down there and make plans to go out it storms or the seas are nasty. Here are some pic's from the past. The first one is a couple Lobster. The 2 Grey tanks are 100's and the pink one is an 80, to give you an idea of the size of them. The second one is of some Cobia we got on 1 of our dives and the last one is one of a guy I dive with and a #100+ Warsaw Grouper. I can't wait to get out of this snow and get wet.

#8 ·
You have to decide what type of spearfishing you plan to do most often. If you plan on sticking around jetties and inlets a JBL 38 is nice because it's small and easy to handle. I have one and I upgraded the bands and I also took off the line and put a cord similar to a telephone cord that doesn't have to be wrapped.
If you plan on doing more offshore spearfishing you will want a larger gun with a reel etc. I'm not as familiar with those.
Another option is starting with a Hawaiian sling. They will let you get into the sport on the cheap and then you can get a large gun for offshore use.

#15 ·
Anytime man!! I got a few nice spots up and down the coast that I love hitting cuz they arent crowded like BI. I wanna hit Cape May inlet too at some point and give that a shot.

#19 ·
You want a gun that is going to have enough power at distance! The smallest gun i would go with would be a 100cm railgun! When you get in the clear bluewater offshore as opposed to the murky inshore the fish are alot further away usually yet appear closer because of the better water clarity! I uhave 3 railguns i take bluewater spearfishing with me a 110cm aimrite carbon with a reel setup,a 120cm with a break-a-way setup,and then 140cm with breakaway setup! i take 3 just incase you do hit something bi its nice to have a backup gun for a second shot! I have killed a yellowfin tuna with a 120cm before at close range and im sure the same could be done with a 100cm but thats the smallest i would go for a mahi gun! I have a bunch of guns here in NJ that you can check out to get a better idea!

#24 ·
Where in Florida you going kenlaw. I was just down in the keys spearing in the begining of january it wasnt good inshore but about 6 miles out was amazing. The temperature was way to cold when i was there 55 inshore the grunt and parrot fish died a week later.

#25 ·
I am going to try to go fishing out of Cape Canaveral and diving out of Fort Pierce or West Palm. It depends on the weather. They are calling for 3'-4' seas with a 25 mph wind up north so it looks like West Palm. If the water is clear enough and I can't get offshore I might dive Sebastion Inlet on the high slack or Wabasso Beach. I just need to get wet.

#29 ·
Sean- IMO slings are great if you are going to eventually upgrade. If you think you'll stick with shallow water stuff for a while check out the JBL .38 special, nice and small for working jetties etc.

#32 ·
I have a Pred pro 100cm with a single 20mm band, open muzzle. This thing is solid! It shoots like a lazer and will handle anything from a large Tog head(As in broadside shot right behind the eyes), to Stripers, to Mahi in the slight chance I get off shore! Great price and the option of no interest monthly payments is great also. This is one of the last companies where you'll get a call from the person who's hands on building something for you making sure they're giving you exactly what you want!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.