BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out last night and threw up a total airball for the first 3 hours. Moved around a bit hitting 3 bridges and the inlet. Chunked fresh herring, fresh surf clam , livelined herring and bloods just wouldn't do it. Finally found the bass WAY BACK putting an all out assault on spearing. I have not seen so much spearing in the back, ever. They looked like PB's but made their characteristic rainlike drizzling sound, and BIG spearing to boot. Just an unbelievable sight, channel after channel blanketed with spearing!!!
Chalk one up for the artificial guys because I threw on a small non-sinking crystal minnow and pulled in two nice bass 29 and 33, one short. Enough for me to call it a night.

Just can't help but think about the difference each year can bring. Last year no weakies, and a mullet run that was just two quick to call one way or the other. This year, a good solid herring run that still is strong, and now this spearing blitz. Weakies like spearing, I have got my fingers crossed

·
Registered
250 Posts
Does anyone know of any limits on baitfish? In other words, using a throw net, is there a limit of gallons, pounds or other measurement for spearing, bunker, sand eels etc.?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by Go Gordon:
Does anyone know of any limits on baitfish? In other words, using a throw net, is there a limit of gallons, pounds or other measurement for spearing, bunker, sand eels etc.?
Go Gordon,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard........

No Restrictions on those Baits...
But As Always Just Take What You Need,Once
Out of the Water They Don't Last Long....
Good Luck,,,
Thx,

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by Go Gordon:
WELCOME TO THE BARB KNOW YOU WILL ENJOY. IF YOU LIVE IN THE DOWNSTAIRS CONDO FROM ME PLEASE EXCUSE THE WATER BUT IT HAD TO DRAIN SOMEWHERE,PROMISE TO FIX THE WEEK BEFORE CHRISTMAS,SURE GLAD I LIVE ON SECOND FLOOR.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Dr Bass did you ever notice a shortage of spearing? Seems to me there are always plenty of spearing and grass shrimp around, not like the fluctuations I've seen year to year with peanut bunker or mullet.
Glad to hear you hooked up!
The way the weather is going I don't a weakfish run happening anytime soon. :(

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No never a shortage, but then again, never so many as this particular night, that was the take home point. Can you ever have too much bait??

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sometimes the spearing drive me crazy. Those summer nights when the fish are going nuts on them and they won't hit anything I throw.
It is a good sign but I have seen them in creeks (just like you are talking about) for the last few years. Sometimes as we're cruising through I wonder how many the prop turns into chum. :confused:
Seems this time of year the spearing are much larger than in the summer, I think its a little easier to match them with 4 and 5 inch plastics now.
Any kind of life is a good sign after the last few weeks!

[ 04-05-2004, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: Far26 ]

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I'm amazed, I always thought that they came in later with the warmer water. I buy those little white rubber worms during the summer when the spearing are smaller and pinch them to size, seems to work pretty well with an 1/8oz jig head,fishpole

·
Registered
729 Posts
I cleaned a striper this weekend that nothing but tons and tons of grass shrimp in its stomach, tried to take a pic but it overexposed. I also have a picture of a fish caught on 3/13/02 that had tons and tons of spearing in it. The all shrimp diet cant be great for the bite right now so sure id like to see some more spearing around.
although I think a big key for the weakies is the bunker, the tiderunners seem to follow the adults in and the schollies later in July/Aug follow the peanuts.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks to all, for the warm welcome. I've been a lurker for about a year and a half. I really appreciate a lot of your collective shred knowledge. Hopefully I can bring something to the table that others cen benefit from. I slip my boat at Holiday Harbor Marina, anybody else slip there?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Large spearing are aound every year around this time, this is when the bait freezer buy ALL there spearing that they will freeze for the summer since they are so big and so abudent at this time of year

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And who is the guru here on TBB for catching them?? I would sure like to know, because I agree with you. Clam worms were floating by yesterday, weakies on their way?? Have the herring left us??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.