BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any special offers on the new Penn Spinfisher SSV5500 at any of the local B&Ts? Perhaps an offer to load it with braid?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Art's Animals was having good deals on penn reels last week. their was a couple spinfishers their. i bought 2 battles and got a great deal.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Has anyone heard of any special offers on the new Penn Spinfisher SSV5500 at any of the local B&Ts? Perhaps an offer to load it with braid?
Greg, I know most of your fishing is done is S Jersey, so it makes sense to me that you would want to get the reel from one of your local B&Ts....

Here's a customer service story....
2 years ago a friend bought braid from Giglio's in Sea Bright......he spooled it himself, but for some reason he screwed up when it came to putting on enough backing. He lost a big fish....went into Giglio's and was telling his story of the lost fish and the braid....
One of the guys in there offered to re-spool the reel with braid, for free....

I don't know if it was Ernie or Tom Giglio.....I wasn't there.....and I don't know if they would repeat the same offer today.....I don't want to put them on the spot as obligated to do this.....but this is something they did 2 years ago to help out a regular customer.

I do know that Joe Melillo of Castaways in Point Pleasant has spooled reels with free braid when customers bought reels from him as well. Don't know if he is still doing that, though.

The point of telling this story, is that you probably have a B&T in your area that you are most familiar with, and go in regularly.....
I would ask them if they could give you a slight discount on the reel (10% or more is standard for good customers) and ask if they might fill the reel with braid as part of the deal.

Hope this helps....good luck....
Best wishes to you and your son for a good season.......:thumbsup: :wave:

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a some what funning story. I get an email from Dicks stating that they are giving $20 off any order over $100 with free shipping. $20 isn't a lot of money, but it is half the price of a 300yd spool of #30 PP Slick8, so I figured I'd order the reel online. I'm using two gift cards from major credit card companies. Here's the funny part, Disk's computer system won't allow you to use to gift cards for one purchase. So I'll just do what I was going to do, buy from a local B&T I frequent.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Well, Greg..guess it was fate....that you were meant to end up buying it there, then...:wave:

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Here's another reason to buy from your local B&T: Penn uses what's called Fair Trade Pricing, which means that in exchange for being appointed an authorized retailer, a shop (online or bricks and mortar) needs to agree to sell Penn's stuff at the price set by Penn. This means that if you buy a Spinfisher V 5500, for example, the price is gonna be the same, $159.95, whether you buy it from Giant Online Discounter or Mom & Pop's Bait and Tackle. The only place where you can find prices lower than this is on Fleabay, and you're taking your life in your hands there, because none of the vendors selling there are authorized Penn vendors. If you have a problem there, you're screwed.

I remember reading once somewhere online that before Penn went to Fair Trade Pricing -- this was a long time ago, almost 20 years back -- the wholesale price on one of their offshore lever-drag reels (I think the 50TW) was $475, and the MSRP was $700. But the big-box stores, whose only attraction was price, were selling them for $495 - that's right, the markup was a measly $25, or a bit more than 5%.

Fair trade may strike you as weird, or even un-American; it did to me when I first learned about it. But I've come to support it, because it exists to give an even playing field to the little guys, who cannot survive on 5% markups. When forced to compete on even terms on pricing, the big box stores of the world can't compete with the mom-and-pop B&T's; or, to put the same thing another way, the B&Ts are asking only for a fair shake -- when all else is equal, they will beat the big-box stores handily, because the big-box stores offer nothing other than price.

So this is one more reason to patronize your local B&Ts: it won't really cost you any more to do so. This is doubly true now that most online sellers are required to collect sales tax.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check out STC in Gibbstown, they have a real nice selection of reels and rods. They will work with you
on a combo that works for the both of you. Also they include free mono, but the braid is price pretty good too.
I purchased two combo's from them. Scotts in Mystic Island has real nice stuff along with deals. He too would
work with you. I believe both would probably price match too for your business. Last if tackle direct in egg harbor twp.
They have a big selection. I purchased penn combo's from them in the past as well with very good results.
You have options. Hope it helped...

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out STC in Gibbstown. Last if tackle direct in egg harbor twp.
I'll check out STS - never been there. I do like Tackle Direct and buy a lot of stuff at the store, but to me that is more of a giant mail order retailer than a local B&T. I'll probably buy it at one of Ocean City's local businesses (don't know if it's ok to mention the place).

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I'll check out STS - never been there. I do like Tackle Direct and buy a lot of stuff at the store, but to me that is more of a giant mail order retailer than a local B&T. I'll probably buy it at one of Ocean City's local businesses (don't know if it's ok to mention the place).
I just can't resist..... TackleDirect IS an Ocean City mom & pop B&T. In fact the owners started the business there and have been OC residents for generations... we just grew up a little! :D

By the way, we are selling the reel at the same price everyone else is, but, because of the Shimano tent event this weekend, if you buy a 300yd spool of PowerPro, you get a 30# 300yd spool free.... might help the pocket a little.

BTW, Tom and Ernie at Giglio's are about the nicest guys you will ever meet, and yes, I am sure they would bend over backwards to accomodate any customer.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Belmo, I want to thank you for all you do to contribute.
That post was inspiring and real. :thumbsup:

Too many people sit on the internet sidelines and are only too glad to read the research of others, or comment negatively on something they don't like.....IMO a website, to be robust, benefits greatly with reviews and comments such as yours here and ones you have put up in the past.
Hope you don't mind, I'm gonna C&P your post into the BB most notable quotes thread.
Best wishes for a great season. :wave:

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Here's another reason to buy from your local B&T: Penn uses what's called Fair Trade Pricing, which means that in exchange for being appointed an authorized retailer, a shop (online or bricks and mortar) needs to agree to sell Penn's stuff at the price set by Penn. This means that if you buy a Spinfisher V 5500, for example, the price is gonna be the same, $159.95, whether you buy it from Giant Online Discounter or Mom & Pop's Bait and Tackle. The only place where you can find prices lower than this is on Fleabay, and you're taking your life in your hands there, because none of the vendors selling there are authorized Penn vendors. If you have a problem there, you're screwed.

I remember reading once somewhere online that before Penn went to Fair Trade Pricing -- this was a long time ago, almost 20 years back -- the wholesale price on one of their offshore lever-drag reels (I think the 50TW) was $475, and the MSRP was $700. But the big-box stores, whose only attraction was price, were selling them for $495 - that's right, the markup was a measly $25, or a bit more than 5%.

Fair trade may strike you as weird, or even un-American; it did to me when I first learned about it. But I've come to support it, because it exists to give an even playing field to the little guys, who cannot survive on 5% markups. When forced to compete on even terms on pricing, the big box stores of the world can't compete with the mom-and-pop B&T's; or, to put the same thing another way, the B&Ts are asking only for a fair shake -- when all else is equal, they will beat the big-box stores handily, because the big-box stores offer nothing other than price.

So this is one more reason to patronize your local B&Ts: it won't really cost you any more to do so. This is doubly true now that most online sellers are required to collect sales tax.
Not sure about fair trade. I just bought a battle 6000 for $60 a 2000 for $40 and they have a cooler full of 7000 and 8000 for $80 at Dicks. I am thinking they are being discontinued? You can also pickup a fish and game mag at the gun counter for another $10 off $50. The 7000 and 8000 would then be $70 for a reel normally going for $130. There are Penn deals to be had.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just can't resist..... TackleDirect IS an Ocean City mom & pop B&T. In fact the owners started the business there and have been OC residents for generations... we just grew up a little! :D

By the way, we are selling the reel at the same price everyone else is, but, because of the Shimano tent event this weekend, if you buy a 300yd spool of PowerPro, you get a 30# 300yd spool free.... might help the pocket a little.
Well aware they started in OC, then moved to Somers Point and then to their current location. Like I said I buy a fair amount of items there. But they are a powerhouse mail order operation. A mom and pop B&T is one where the owner is working behind the counter. I like to spread the wealth, and when an item is the same price every where, I like to give the business to the smaller guy.

Is the PowerPro offer on the new slick8? If so, I'll be in for that for sure.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Not sure about fair trade. I just bought a battle 6000 for $60 a 2000 for $40 and they have a cooler full of 7000 and 8000 for $80 at Dicks. I am thinking they are being discontinued?
When, stuff gets discontinued, you'll see sales. They reduce prices to blow out inventory, and you can get good deals this way. I got a Torque 100 star-drag conventional, which retailed for $400 and which is an awesome reel, for a hair under two hundred clams.

But other than when models are discontinued, fair trade pricing sets the same MSRP for everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts