BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a look at the new tog regs for New Jersey and i hate to say i told you so, but i told you so. I was a little off on the timing as i predicted a moratorium on tog this past fall or winter. Instead, we now face a larger minimum size for the entire year and more closures. Almost every time i go to north wildwood i see poaching. And i'm not just talking about one race. It's all walks of fishermen. Like Lou who takes several fish because he lives across the street. Somehow he feels that entitles him to take more fish. Or Alex the russian guy who when he saw the warden across the inlet packed up his gear as fast as he could and ran away. Not sure what laws he broke that day, but you can bet he left a decent bite for some reason. Now we all have to pay for the greed of these people. Tog grow very slowly and it will be years before we get any leeway on these new regs. My heart goes out to Linda at Jersey bait and tackle. She will lose untold sales during the Sept 1 til Oct 17th closure. So once again, thank you for effin it up for everybody.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Your first post in 7 months........ You really haven't been around to tell us all that much. :huh:

And welcome to the club of those not happy with the Tog regs........... :mad:

·
Registered
279 Posts
The poaching has alot to do with it, but at the same time it is noaa own foolishness that hurts us. They closed sea bass and fluke, and now they have no idea why were killing so many tog.

Its like they want us all to start targeting doggies and bergals.

On a seperate note, I have started keeping doggies on a regular basis, and I've convinced alot of people to try it. They're a little tough to clean, but when beer battered and fried, id rather eat them than cod.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I thought spiny dogs where endangered? An you can only keep smoothes? :huh:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just got a look at the new tog regs for New Jersey and i hate to say i told you so, but i told you so. I was a little off on the timing as i predicted a moratorium on tog this past fall or winter. Instead, we now face a larger minimum size for the entire year and more closures. Almost every time i go to north wildwood i see poaching. And i'm not just talking about one race. It's all walks of fishermen. Like Lou who takes several fish because he lives across the street. Somehow he feels that entitles him to take more fish. Or Alex the russian guy who when he saw the warden across the inlet packed up his gear as fast as he could and ran away. Not sure what laws he broke that day, but you can bet he left a decent bite for some reason. Now we all have to pay for the greed of these people. Tog grow very slowly and it will be years before we get any leeway on these new regs. My heart goes out to Linda at Jersey bait and tackle. She will lose untold sales during the Sept 1 til Oct 17th closure. So once again, thank you for effin it up for everybody.
HOW OLD ARE YOU CUZ U SOUND LIKE UR 12.. :rolleyes::rolleyes: TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL.:nuts::nuts:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Look it up, I couldn't find any regulation against keeping them, and with the commercial daily limits being 4000lbs and the yearly quota just raised to 36million lbs, I don't forsee any issues.

If anything, the smoothies are closer to being endangered.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know I'm about to unleash the wrath of many on this site, but please hear me out. This tog issue is but the start of many issues to come.
The simple truth is that the money needed to get this turned around simply isn't there. When the issue of a SALTWATER LICENSE comes up everyome yells "not me". Without funds, the the proper studies can't be done. Tog is an east west migrating fish. For the most part, New Jersey tog regulations should be set by The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Division and could at least be influenced by them. Check out the link I've added to see what can be accomplished if you have the $$$$$$$. Without it we'll be at the mercy of all that want us, the recreational sportsman off the water.
To all the nay sayers: Politicians say you can't get a law passed with a dedicated funds clause because they want access to redirect said funds. To that I say, freshwater license money is didicated on a user in-user out basis. It to my knowledge has not been raided. Just humor me and look at this:
http://www.jdnews.com/news/fisheries-99902-grants-fishing.html
Sorry to go on for so long, but I'm Pi$$ed and I am tired of the few that are opposed to what is good for the majority of us.
I'll step off my soap box now and wait to see the reactions.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I know I'm about to unleash the wrath of many on this site, but please hear me out. This tog issue is but the start of many issues to come.
The simple truth is that the money needed to get this turned around simply isn't there. When the issue of a SALTWATER LICENSE comes up everyome yells "not me". Without funds, the the proper studies can't be done. Tog is an east west migrating fish. For the most part, New Jersey tog regulations should be set by The New Jersey Marine Fisheries Division and could at least be influenced by them. Check out the link I've added to see what can be accomplished if you have the $$$$$$$. Without it we'll be at the mercy of all that want us, the recreational sportsman off the water.
To all the nay sayers: Politicians say you can't get a law passed with a dedicated funds clause because they want access to redirect said funds. To that I say, freshwater license money is didicated on a user in-user out basis. It to my knowledge has not been raided. Just humor me and look at this:
http://www.jdnews.com/news/fisheries-99902-grants-fishing.html
Sorry to go on for so long, but I'm Pi$$ed and I am tired of the few that are opposed to what is good for the majority of us.
I'll step off my soap box now and wait to see the reactions.
Im not gonna flame you. I agree with you. Nj Fish and Game isa fragment of what it needs to be to provide the feds with proper data and to cover the state with the manpower required by the feds.
Its Captain TB's organization and the RFA who continues to argue against a saltwater licensce. They both have the politicians ear. Until at least the RFA changes its tune and suports a licensce we will continue to be the laughing stock of the coastal states.
They both promised they had funding in the works when they fought the registration fee last year. But just like any good boardwalk huckster they figured we forgot about all the promises they were making to complete miracles.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes we are the laughing stock of the east coast when all these other states have done much more science then and start to take away from us it will be too late

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
$10 gonna kill ya?

As far as tog, I assure you it has less to do with poaching and more to do with funding and politics

Without our own dedicated $$, we are going nowhere. I pay for an annual Florida out of state license, a NJ Freshwater, a NJ Small Game, a NJ Clamming ticket... what's the difference at this point?

Organized groups should be working on how to secure all funds raised are perpetually dedicated funds instead of trying to hold back the tide with a teaspoon. More logic, less ego.

By the way, if the State had the funding all those guys poaching would be getting busted by the small army of new CO's on the payroll....

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
To me most of it is bullshirt. Take a federal or state agency and give them the ability to set rules to protect species and you will end up with a self serving powerhouse. As long as they keep yelling fire and new rules need to be set or changed then funding keeps flowing. First time they say everything is fine then who needs them. Just about every season rules change and some changes are no more than a joke. We are allowed four fish next month but only one fish the next two months. We don't care how many flounder you kill as long as you only keep eight over eighteen inches. I wonder how many fisherman look at the rules and truthfully believe that they work. When they come out with the card that has all the rules I just look at it and wonder how any organization could screw something up this bad in a short time. But it sure makes it look like they are busy and maybe needs to get bigger and more powerfull.

How many of us even know who truely has the power in fish management? Sometimes it seems like it or they are a many headed beast that hides in the fog. We end up fighting with other states about who gets what and commercial angainst recreational and the fog gets thicker and thicker. The many headed beast knows exactly how to work us like children. First rumors about possible new regs and they usually suck so bad that we yell and scream all winter. Then something less severe is passed and we all sigh in relief. We should give them a standing ovation because they played the game to perfection.

Just writing this has ruined my morning already. Is it some poachers grabbing some fish from jetties? Is it that we have all become fantastic fisherman and caught more than the species can replace? I seriously doubt it. Is it old or incorrect data that has everything screwed up? Been hearing that one for years and we still believe it. Does anyone truely believe that when the state or feds get involved in anything that things will improve? We are at their mercy and thats never a good place to be.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Fred, Have another cup of coffee. Too much anger for a Sun am! You have made a great case for voting against Oblahma and the pro-govt nannies!

·
Registered
16 Posts
My problem with spending money on a license in this state is. The state puts the money in one big pot just like are hunting license . It should be 100 percent used for fishing and hunting. I have no problem spending money on fishing license if it were 100 percent going to fishing. Like doing fish study's for better understanding on local fish,more co's ,better free boat ramps. Which you could get all this with the cost of a license if this state wasn't so corrupt

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Great post... Did the state survey the poachers as to their catch?

·
Registered
848 Posts
bridge rat. You come on here with your high and mighty attitude. You seem to know these people by their first names and where they live etc,. You must have some association with these people. Please, tell us what you have done to stop this activity or you just a keyboard commando.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
READ HIS POST AGAIN....Nothing about a SWL......Nothing about Science or lack of data collection. His post is about poachers causing the regs to become worse and the effecting local businesses. I agree strict regs hurt business. At the next fishery meeting, ask the panel of beaurcrats when was the last economic impact study done. Just ask. Now as far as poachers causing the stricter regs. At the last several meetings, there has been much discussion on this. Are these people commercial.? Or recreational ? The illegal live blackfish trade. Have at it.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Saltwater License costing $$$ is not needed.

Catch someone with an illegal fish..........

- Check their immigration status and deport them instantly if illegal (24 hours process).
- If they are here legally, fine them an amount that is actually payable ($20 a fish or something like that).

Illegals will stop poaching almost overnight, and if they don't and start getting deported in large numbers, then even better.

People here legally will pay their fines rather than spend time in jail or labor camps. Half the fine money goes to the court that processed them; the other half goes into a Fisheries related fund.

It is a very simple formula. We as a nation are just no longer man enough to enforce such policies.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
It's a shame for us to be fightng about this. I'm sure we have all seen some kind of law breaker in action. I even have the F&G # on speed dial. I called it a few times, but, but the time anyone would show up it would be WAY to late. Those guys try, but are spread too thin. How many flounder are cut for bait every year by HONEST fisherman??

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just one point - I'm from out of state. Fisherman/Hunters are just that. It makes no sense to me why any state charges out of state sportsman more. That will only drive away funds and money to local businesses.

I got under the wire for 2012 IBSP pass ($30 increase). I bought a new truck in 2010 (1st since 1985). I have grand kids I'd love to have experience the beach (Future Fee payers). I'm willing to pay what everyone else pays. But if I have to pay more for NJ licenses and permits on top of my local licenses and permits, then I'll certainly have to rethink about the added costs on top of travel expenses too. Ask yourself this; What percentage of people who frequent NJ shore towns do you think are from of state ?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
this is from Monty on the mornigstar, bad data is why the restrictions suck read below

"At the joint ASMFC & MAFMC fisheries meeting in Williamsburg, VA. the Chair of the Stock Assessment Workgroup (SAW) told me "no one with a brain in their head would believe that estimate" in reference to the NJ shore-caught Mar/Apr 2010 tog recreational catch estimate of 71,756 fish -- from shore, in late winter, in New Jersey.
That's more tog caught from shore in weeks than all the party/charter boats along the entire coast caught in all of 2010.
In the new & improved MRIP recreational catch estimating system, those same shore fishers are now credited with 173,092 tog in Mar/Apr 2010.
One Hundred Thousand More Fish ..where they probably caught a few hundred at most before waters warmed in May."

with this kind of bs what else can we expect, these are the numbers they are using to come up with our regs.

Bridge Rat seems you know a lot of these poachers? If its the Alex who I think your talking about, I have known him for years he catches his limit almost always tosses em back or gives peeps who have nt caught any fish.
Like me yesterday!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts