BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see posts about guys being able to tell what species of fish they are seeing on the FF by the echo. I've searched everywhere and can't really find anything on this. Granted some systems are better than others, but I'm running a Raymarine C90w, and Ill be dammed is I can tell the difference between Stripers or Tuna or Doggies. Do fish with swim bladders show up different than those without? Anyone have any insight on this besides dropping a jig down to see what comes up?:huh:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here is what I know, and I am no expert. It is not possible to truly know til it reaches the surface. If it is striper season and your ff shows some decent images holding over structure it is probably stripers, but could be blues. Takes lots of water time to learn more. If you are fishing a NJ wreck in summer any marks will likely be c-bass. Flounder generally don't show.

So in determining what you are seeing on the ff you must consider season and where you are fishing.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I'm not an expert but know that you can only take an educated guess. Big mark = big fish, little marks are usually bait. Big mark streaking across or to the top is a tuna! Tuna look like a comet on the screen because they are moving very fast most of the time and the sounder can capture that movement.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am also interested in knowing an answer. Especially if someone could help me understand how to determine doggies from other fish.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I agree with philly, i think context is the biggest factor... if you mark big fish over false bottom in 35 feet of water June, you have to assume its probably bass over bunker... I don't know of a way to distinguish one fish from another based on shape alone, because, remember, the speed of the boat and the fish's position can influence that as well...

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You can only tell by the situation. The size/shape of the marks can give you some information about how the fish are acting, but a large mark=large fish and small mark =small fish is not true 100% of the time.

Fast movint fish will not look like a comet or anything like that, unless they're moving vertically........then they'll look like lines. If they're moving horizontally, and very quickly through the cone they'll ideally look like a tall, narrow arch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts