BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use a spey rod in the salt from the beach for stripers? If so, what size rod?

Greg

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
Greg, Welcome to the Barn. Don't know anyone using one at this time. Maybe someone out there can help you. It doesn,t mean they don't work, it is just that most guys like the one handed rods. They might be the right rod for certain conditions and we are all too dumb to consider it.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Greg I have one, used it many years ago. It's in the garage, somewhere. I didn't really like it. So long ago, I can't remember why. There was talk here a year or so ago & I think a few played with them for awhile. Ron

[ 08-25-2004, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: sparse grey ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Traditional spey casting from the beach has to be difficult at best. You need some sort of side current to anchor your line, at least that's what I've seen with other spey casters. And the wave action might ruin your setup for the next cast. On the other hand, 2-handed casting can be done from the beach, but that's not really "spey" casting. By the way, you can spey cast with a 1-handed rod, as it's really just fancy roll casting.

Try it out and see if it works for you. I've never done it, but am interested in seeing if it works. I've seen 2-handed casters launch the line out there, and it must be of some help if the fish are well out past the bar or something. But, fishing the surf with a 15'+ rod for hours on end might get tiring. But then again I've never used one, so I don't know. I wouldn't recommend using one on a jetty or boat, for obvious reasons

[ 08-25-2004, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Fly Ty R ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info! I was thinking that a spey rod might work along some of the back bays where the dunes / grass might restrict a back cast. Since I'm brand new to fishing the salt with a fly rod, maybe I'm worrying about the distance I will be able to cast and that may not be even a concern.

When I lived in Washington State I used my 8 weight rod for steelhead fishing and I had a friend that had a 14' spey rod. He covered alot more water then I could with a lot less effort. The spey rod is a lot less stressful on your arms and shoulders then a single hand rod.

I'll just see how it goes with my 8 weight over Labor Day weekend.

Thanks!

Greg

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I think you hit it on the nose. The longer distance you can cast, the better off you are in the long run, but you can still catch fish past the tip of your rod. And when fishing from a sod bank, that is even more true. Most of the fish off the sod are right at your feet, or just down the bank.

By the way, traditional spey casting would work exceedingly well in the backwaters (sod bank or wading) where you have a current. There is no wave action to hinder your casts, and since spey casting is nothing more than roll casting, you can have your back up to a wall of 14ft tall phragmites and still cast out 100ft+. It would be pretty interesting to see someone spey cast clear across Corsons Inlet :D .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Might have to check out a spey rod.

Greg

[ 08-26-2004, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Greg Moore ]

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think if you investagate spey casting and spey rods there are designed for rivers, large ones at that. spey casting uses the water to load the rod, waves would make that almost imposible. Yes you could adapt, I am sure, but it would not be better than a properly sized flyrod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts