BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing around with these knots while watching the Phillies game and I like the idea of a doubled length of line. Spider hitch is simple and I can tie the bimini pretty decent but I dont know when I would ever use them.

Anyone use these knots? If tied correctly and used with a fluoro leader it should make the breaking point of the set-up that of the main line. Sounds good but it is a lot of work just to rig up.

Anyway, was just messing around with the knots and was wondering what applications you use them under, or if you use them at all.

Thanks,
RyanF

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
spiderhitch is a staple for me anytime I need/want a double line...started using it years ago when jigging for bluefish on northern party boats....easy to tie, and effective....rigged lines this winter in Florida and caught several sailfish using the old spider hitch...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ryan:
Spider Hitch, easy to tie and does the job adequately...... I never had it fail......add on your leader and you are ready to tie on your jig, or rig.....

It makes no sense to me why anybody uses a Bimini because it takes a lot of time and effort to tie it correctly and the spider is just as good with a lot less trouble.....

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Ryan,

Spider hitch works fine when you just need a simple double line for whatever reason. The bimini is more for applications when you need a shock absorber and some additional stretch (trolling) to the line. The Spider doesn't have that quality. Depending on what size line and rod guides you are using spider hitches don't always go through the guides as easy as the bimini. If you look at a properly tied bimini on both sides it is 'coned' so that it slides through the glides no problem and doesn't get caught up or sometimes even stuck. Spiders are a PIA on heavier line. Even on 20# and 30# test that can bunch up enough to get caught up in the guides and slow your day down. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Spider hitches are easy. Biminis are also easy to tie with the right technique, though not as easy as spiders. Remember, the spider hitch is not a 100% knot most of the time, because most of the time it is tied incorrectly, especially when done quickly. Line friction is also a big problem when seating the knot. I am quilty of this, especially when I get lazy or want a quick loop knot. Usually it doesn't matter, but every once in a while it comes back to bite me!

There really is no wrong way to "tie" and Bimini, so they are almost always a 100% knot because of lack of line friction and pinching (even though it really isn't a knot at all).

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[ 06-01-2006, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: RyanF ]

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been away from the computer for a while. I have to admit that I would not waste time on the water tyin up a bimini twist but I get bored sometimes when Im sitting around watching TV.

Anyway, any problems with the spider hitch and 30# PP?

To those who do use a bimini, how many turns do you make with 30# PP?

Thanks for the hit backs.

RyanF

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
The secret to a Bimini is to make sure when you double back the line onto itself the coils wrap tightly with no spaces.

I use Bimini's on all of my offshore trolling rods., tying the bimini to the swivel with a loop knot. Also use it on all of my bait casting rigs.

20 pound mono to a bimini to an improved uni knot (40lb shock) to the 3 way swivel.

[ 06-02-2006, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Re-Bait ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.