BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i love my reels and i must say i have used both to catch the flounder. Is there a difference and why? I am just curious why conventional is used more so with the flatties. I know your bottom fishing but whats the preference? :cool:

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I do alot of flounder fishing and have used both. The only thing that I like better about conventional reels while flounder fishing is that it is easier to let line out. Just push the button vs.flipping over the bail. I am sure that some people will say that the drag is better but I don't find this to be true.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Got an hour.

I also use both but prefer conventional for just about every fish excluding weakies.

Conventionals have a much smoother drag.

They also don't twist line when the drag is feeding out line.

I freespool when flounder fishing. Just pressure from my thumb keeps me in control. If I want to let out line I control it with my thumb rather than opening the bail.

I prefer the lifting power of a conventional over a spinning rod. They both do the same thing but with spinning you are lifting from the top and conventional you are lifting from the bottom.

I don't do much casting for flounder so conventioan fits the task perfectly. Even so the new freshwater style reels I use can cast just as far as spinning. One plus to spinning is you don't get a backlash.

I use conventional but I have changed all my rods with the Roberts style set up. Guides start out at the twelve oclock position but rotate so the top half of the rod has the guides in the six oclock position. Conventional rods especially light rods have a tendency to twist as the fight of the fish trys to pull the guides and blank to the six oclock position. Roberts style rods eliminate this problem. It's like using a conventional butt section and a spinning tip section. Works great.

Spinning reels have one big flaw that I don't like and they all seem to have it. Anytime you do an adjustment on the drag the bushings or pads seem to hold the previous tension. I make sure every time I change drag settings that I pull some line to reach the new setting.

I know some great flounder fisherman who don't even own a conventional rod and reel. They have some fantastic catches year after year. It's probably more a matter of whats comfortable for you. Like I said in the beginning. I have both but my rod of choice is conventional :D

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
I use both, as I like to dead stick the conventional with a light drag and clicker engaged, while the spinning outfit I like to keep my finger on the line for better feel. Can't say one or the other has been better as far as success. Just my .02

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
It's really a personal preference. Some like the spinning reels because they sit under the rod, and conventional reels sit on top. You can find smoothe reels in spinning and conventional. You can get cheaper conventional and spinning reels that suck also.

Chunking has hit on a very good point with the Roberts wrap. Putting the tip-top on the bottom of the rod makes it more stable. It pulls the line on the outer part of the tip top ring. I make all of my own conventional rods with the Roberts wrap. It takes the torque out of the conventional rod.

Find yourself some good equipment and decide for yourself what you want to use. The most expensive stuff doesn't mean it's any better than the cheaper stuff. Make sure you like the feel, balance helps.

What exactly are you looking for? HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Fred/Ding, robert's wrap sounds like another name for spiral or acid wrap. are they all the same thing, with just different names?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
HN:

I use both as well. I like spinning with bucktails in shallow- back bay water.

I like conventionals for deep water fluking- like at the old grounds.

·
Registered
840 Posts
For fluke either inside or off the beach its the ole trusty Penn 940's with Fireline. As already stated by others, conventional reels let you freespool much more effectively, they dont twist line and the generally have better drags.

I like the 940 better than ANY other conventional reel for one reason. You can thumb the freespool button in or out of gear whereas on most other reels (like my abu garcias or shimano corsairs) after pressing the freespool button, the only way to re-engage the spool is to rotate the handle.

When drifting I hold a conventional outfit in my right hand. After a strike and hookset I switch the rod to the left hand. Maybe I'm backassward, or maybe others do the same, I dont know. The 940 lets me let more line out to hold bottom or lock up the spool to set the hook all with my right thumb. I dont have to rotate the handle to disengage the freespool which either requires me to switch hands or reach over with the left to turn the crank.

Plus, I can tie on a bucktail or a plug and cast those 940's a pretty good distance. Old technology is good technology. ;)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I feel the same as Partnership. Spin gear for less than 10ft. and conventional for depths greater than 10ft. Why? I'm not sure, it's more of a feel thing I guess.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I use all conventionals for flounder for one simple reason... I find my hookup ratio is much higher when I can "drop-back" the bait on a hit. I am always in freespool with my thumb on the spool jigging a little to feel the bottom on the drift.. when the rhythem changes, I drop back and hit.

And Filletone, the hand switch is exactly why I use left-crank reels.. I like having my stronger, quicker reflex, dominent hand on the rod/right thumb on the spool, and use my more useless hand (the left one) for cranking.. So if there is a rod in my hand (fly, spin, conventional, or .... other ;) it is in the right one!

·
Registered
12,868 Posts
It Depends
Jigging with lite bucktails skinny water in back i'm spinning-usually early season.
Deeperwater/heavier weights conventional.

Deadsticking conventional and spinner with dual drag Baitrunner type.

Usually switch between when get bored of a type.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm with you on that drop-back method using conventional gear while fluking, especially when the water is a little cooler down deep. I still get amazed on how much line I can feed them and that 940 is a great tool for that job. But for casting and dragging strip baits from either sand or rock, spinning is the way to go.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
doyle007,
Yes it is. I believe a man who's last name is Roberts invented it. They call it the acid wrap in California(now theres a surprise). HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
bluefishbones,
Ahhh grasshopper, I hope you achieve your balance. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
In deep water, conventionals are a must for control. Not so much for reeling in the fish, but for letting your rig down to the depths. Opening the bail and letting your fluke rig decend uncontrollably down to the bottom usually results in a tangled mess!! I've fished with people who use the bait runner option on spinning reels to let the rig down, but this is not good either because instead of a tangled rig, they get severe line twist, not good either! Go conventional in the deep!!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Yep Im with spooled and partnership on this one . Its nice to switch off as well when your arm gets tired. I wont touch the dead stick thing because spooled is the king at that.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all your insights on this . I thought if i used a spinning reel for flounder that I wasnt doing something right but I have caught alot of flounder in the back waters useing both set ups and just was curious if and when we start up fishing again that my selection of reels wasnt putting me at a disadvantge. Thanks again all of you for your opinons this has been very helpful

[ 03-17-2004, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: HarborNights ]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts