BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys im new here. i just got into striper fishing this fall and had a few 20 pounders, pretty fun fishing. i am looking into getting my 1st spinning rod for fishing the rips. wanted to get a st croix. any suggestions as to what model, length, and strength. any reel suggestions?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
illadelphian said:
whats up guys im new here. i just got into striper fishing this fall and had a few 20 pounders, pretty fun fishing. i am looking into getting my 1st spinning rod for fishing the rips. wanted to get a st croix. any suggestions as to what model, length, and strength. any reel suggestions?
I'm not a St Croix guy, Not that theres anything wrong with them.:eek: But Lami is the way to go for me. I like the new 7' Tri-Flex rod with the cork handle. The TFX7020 or TFX7030, I just ordered both rods. I'll be putting a 5000 Sustain on the 7020 and a 6000 on the 7030. Should be able to handle anything. The Stradic is a nice reel also.

Maybe some St. Croix guys will chim in.

Good luck, and "Welcome to the BARN"

Mike

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I just got a Quantum Cabo PT40 and the older version Shimano Stradic 5000. Both reels are sick. Shimano just came out with a cosmetically updates stradic that is bumped up a bit in price, from what I understand just to bridge the price gap between the spheros and the upper end stuff. So, if you can find a new Stradic 5000FH for a bit less than the new FI you should jump on it.

The stradic came with a spare spool, the cabo I have to spring $35 bucks for a spare spool.

RyanF

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I grabbed the last previous style 5000 a shop had last fall and agree they're indeed sick. I'd always loved my 550ssg but wanted a bit smaller, lighter and smoother, the Stradic was exactly what I was looking for as part of a light, cast all morning sod rig. There are still a few out there I would think.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I love St. Croix rods and own 3 of them. For an all around rod for small lures and bucktails, try the Premier Surf model #PSRS70ML.

Awesome rod with nice action but it has enough backbone if you get into some bigger fish.

The rod I mentioned has landed me a ton of bass over the years and retails for about $130.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you are looking for something a few bucks less than a Stradic look at the Saros. Pretty much the same reel as the older Stradics but with the cosmetic upgrades. The new Stradics have a gear update and a newer wrap pattern when picking up line, that being the most notable change to the line.

·
Registered
472 Posts
PENN 560 LIVE LINER.great to cast jigs and if you ever go chunking the live liner will work fantastic.have four on ugly stick tiger lights 7" heavys and will handle anthing you throw at them.i use 15lb suffix tritanium;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a good number of St Croix rods and think they make an excellent rod.

A St Croix Tidemaster 6'6" rated for 10-20 lb line is a good all around choice. I would match it with a Daiwa Tierra 3000 reel.

If you want a heavier rod, St Croix makes a Tidemaster rated for 12-25 lb line and a Muskie rod that is rated for heavier line.

I prefer 6'6" for fishing from a boat, but the 7' works just fine also.

If you want to spend a bit more on the reel, try the Daiwa Advantage 3000.

Here is a link to the Tidemaster rods: http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.asp?rodname=40&section=salt

http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/default2.asp?rodname=53&section=spin

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I agree with Druid the Tidemaster poles are sweet at a great price. I have a 7' 12 to 25# with 3/4 to 2 oz that I fish with braid with a Penn Slammer and I is the perfect bucktailing set up for me.

Don C

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
we build custom rods on st croix and other top quality blanks. i would be happy to talk to you about a custom rod. please call or email if you are interested.

jay

·
Registered
469 Posts
I picked up a Loomis Pro Blue witha 4500 Baitrunner. Really like the set up. I have picked up blues around the jetty with it and some nice stripers. Good setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts