BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new spinning outfit wut would you suggest? I will be using it to jig for fluke n back bay fishing. I would like the ride to be around or under 7'. I was looking at the Shimano Stradics, would this be a good reel, I like the Sustains but they're a littl pricey. What braided line would u suggest also. So Thanks in advance any adivce you can give me would be great. :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
I use a st. croix premier 7'0 med heavy fast action with a stradic 4000 with 20# power pro and it's my favorite setup for the money.You can pretty much do everything with that setup..

[ 08-02-2005, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: duckdiggler ]

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
if you are fishing the back bays, I would go lighter. I would look for something you can more easily cast lighter jigs.

I love the Stradics...the 2500 may be a better size...Power Pro is awesome for fluking...15 or 20 lb test line...on the rod you have alot of options...I am using a St Croix Avid series...medium light and medium (I have two rods with a 2500 Stradic on it)..6' 6"

The set up is nice...at times you'll be able to feel your minnow wiggling his tail & you will definitley feel him start runiing around when something is near by...it is fun.

With Power Pro, you have to be a bit more careful...always open & CLOSE your bail manually, lift the line tight, ensure the line is seated on the roller and reel. Keep an eye out for line wraps after closing the bail. A few little hints and you will make your life much easier.

A friend used my set up and I went through the same steps with him...second cast he didn't close the bail and began reeling...a few casts later and he had a mess.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I also like the 2500 Stradic w/ Shimano Compre 7' rod. CPS70M 8-17 lb line, 3/16-1/2 oz lures, FAST TAPER. Sweet, super sensitive rod that runs about $80 bucks.
I would also go with 20 lb Powerpro and a flourocarbon leader for back bay fluke and weakies. Tosses a small jig and pinkies nicely.
I have a 4000 that I primarily use for surf plugging and fluking outside.

[ 08-03-2005, 02:49 AM: Message edited by: finaddict5 ]

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would also recommend the Stradics. The Sustains and Stellas are great if you have the means to do so. You may also want to consider the 2500 Team Daiwa Advantage (< $150)...probably the smoothest reel I own.

I only use 20-30 lb. Stren Super Braid and would recommend it.

·
Registered
31,529 Posts
Daiwa Advantage and a Lamiglas graphite or Crowder E Series lite.

Size depends on the target and lures you plan to use. Most of my bay stuff is 6'6" and reels in the 2500 range. Go up to the 4000 size if your using heavier stuff.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
ST CROIX 7 MED HEAVY FAST ACTION WITH 20 LB FIRELINE OR POWER PRO.I ALSO USE A 6'6 ST CROIX FAST ACTION MED LIGHT WITH 10 LB FIRELINE WITH SMALL BUCKTAILS FOR THE SMALLER FISH OR FOR THOSE DAYS WHEN NOTHING ELSE IS BITTING I CAST HER UP STREAM AND BOUNCE HER BACK IN AND NORMALLY DO VERY WELL THIS WAY.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I buy all my st.croix's at eastern marine.It's the spinning rod with the cork handles, they run anywhere from 90-120 bucks. I usually wait until they have their 15% off sales then go get.I have they 2000 stradic also but I always seem to reach for the 4000 it just feels better to me. I believe I'm up to 10 st.croixs with various weights lengths and actions, I just seem to prefer the setup I mentioned above. Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
For the reel - I recommend the Daiwa Advantage. Bob recommended it to me - I'm glad he did. I have three now

First fish on the Advantage 3500 is below - yes - the drags work very well! Thats 12lb mono on there and capt Steve London on da right

Rod - Lamiglass, St Croix, or Loomis 6'6 Medium spin. They are all good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts