BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boat hits the water thursday!!! going sat. Read the article in nj fishing about circles for stripes and giving it a shot. Any good/bad info on them would be a help. Used them for chunking tuna but not strips yet. Hard to switch after so long with j-hooks but figure its worth a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
They do work great kind of a fine art in hooking up the fish, but you probably know that using them on the tuna.Just a short story, a freind and I were using and chumming clam for bait on the stripped ones in November last year we had 14 bass from 22 to 35 inches with only 3 lost fish probably due to getting used to the circle hooks. Anyway 13 out of the 14 fish were hooked in the throat could not understand this because I thought circle hooks predominately hooked fish in the corner of the mouth we thought the first one was a fluke, but then it kept happening, kept our limit and cut off at least a half dozen hooks down deep.Has anyone had this happen or know what I can do to prevent it?

[ 03-28-2006, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: nacote man ]

·
Registered
487 Posts
Started Last year. They work very,very well for the following reasons:

1) Circle hooks hook corner of mouth (Less mortaly wounded fish)
2)Fewer snapoff from blues becuase of resone #1
3)Better hook up ratio (hook set seams to be done by fish.)
4)safer to have on boat (in less u r screwing around it's hard to hook yourself)
5)Very Quick release time (More time fishing instead of doing surgery.)
5) Just kinder to the animals we love!

I warn you though you may need to change your bait rigging technique. For bunker you may just want to put the hook out the eye and leave dangling. Try and find a artical and tell me where you find one. I can't find anything on hooking a bait with circles.

[ 03-28-2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: FreezOrBurn ]

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You have to get used to setting the hook. First you just reel tight and they set themselves. If you try setting like normal you will see either missed fish or deep throat hook ups. Also if you are using off set circles they will hook deep and sometimes gut hook just like J's

·
Registered
487 Posts
Originally posted by nacote man:
Anyway 13 out of the 14 fish were hooked in the throat. Has anyone had this happen or know what I can do to prevent it?
Rarely ever happends to me. Maybe jump on the rod faster. Push up the drag ASAP and let fish set hook then you set it(a little). You'll get the corner of mouth every time.

Hook might be too deep into the bait as well.

Throat hooked? Thats realy weired? Where they true circle hooks are those circle/"fluke hook" look-a-likes?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
p47 best of luck on the splashdown and shakedown. Be sure to let us know how you make out.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys, Just one more, what size works best for you. I picked up some 2/0 and 3/0 as nj fisherman said but they seem small. I am like a kid on christmas with splash down. Can't sleep! One to be back on the water two to test the new motors. If we catch I will post Tide, bait and area. Hope the weather holds but I am never that lucky. Good hunting to all looking foward to reading your war stories this year.

·
Registered
746 Posts
hey chris,use a 8 or 10 less gut hooks. hopefully be in by next week.cant wait got the itch. you still in the same spot.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same slip frank You too? Good luck on getting her in its been a long winter. See you on the pier I got a beer with your name on it. Really it was in the bilge found it last week! Just kidding bro, looking foward to fishing with you again this year. See you down there!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Originally posted by Mays Lady Charters:
do yourself a favor and use some Fluoro leader, it does make a difference.
NY harbor Fluro seams to be a waste of money. I have same catch ratio Mono or fluro.

I havn't done statistical test, But in the low visability water dosn't seam to make a diffrance.

·
Registered
32,514 Posts
We used to use circle hooks all the time in the Chesapeake when chumming for stripers. We were using cut bunker for bait. We would just start reeling when we got a fish on and they would usually be on. Some of the guys couldn't resist the urge to "set the hook" and pulled the bait away from a few but they worked well for the most part.

·
Registered
866 Posts
all depends on water clarity where you are. Delaware Bay - usually mono is fine. Clamming out front or in the lower rips, fluoro makes a difference.

That's been my experience....

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Is there anyone other than me that does not like circle hooks? I'll take the gammi octopus any day, but that's me.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Fluka,I`m with you.I hate to be a non circle guy,I fish the Del river in the spring and use um.Have too.Hate it!I like to hold the rod.It`s a been doing it since I was 4 thing.Just love setting a hook!!Octo`s swear by them.Last year I had more gut or throat hooked fish using circles.It is kinda a ford or chevy thing to me.Aqua,good point.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dont have anything against circles but i prefer to use a conventional hook. Theres nothing better then setting the hook after you get slammed, but if i have t use them i will, its still the same fish when hes in your hands.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.