BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get some suggestions on spooling my first set of penn 50's.:confused: I tried the tackle box with no response. Any help would be appriated. Thanks guys.

Russ

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
You're gonna get a load of opinions here... I load my regular fify's with 50lb sufix premium clear mono. Nothing fancy the stuff breaks about 60 lbs. I run 12-15 lbs of drag at strike, set it and forget it. On my 50 wides I run 60lb sufix and the drag range is 12-18 pounds depending on what I'm looking to catch. I also mark where about 22 lbs is past strike as I will go to that on a thresher or other stubborn beat once its a straight up and down fight.
Some guys will say power pro 80 with a top shot of ??? some will say momoi diamond... They are not wrong. I am not wrong. Just different ways...;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
No matter which brand of monofilament you choose, be sure to wet-pack your spool.

I recommend some duct or electrical tape on the spool to ensure a snug attachment for the uniknot that you use around the reel arbor.

Then toss your spool of line into a bucket of fresh water and have a buddy put pressure on it as you crank it on the reel. Using a rod and a gunwale rod holder or rocket launcher can ease this project

It takes a long time but is worth it when the first blue marlin or horse mackerel smokes the Islander-ballyhoo combo on the long rigger.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
spooling reels with spectra

I agree with the above posts 100% but we are now using Jerry Brown hollow core spectra on almost all our new reels. We use the 130 on our 50's with about a 100 yards of mono 100 lb top shot. We spool our 30's with 80 lb spectra with about 50-100 yards of 80-100 lb mono top shot. I presently have quite a few of 30's with 50 lb mono on them but gradually changing them all over to spectra. It is expensive but the spectra should last many years. We now have a bunch of the new smaller lighter 16 T series reels and they are all spooled with 80 lb spectra. Sweet reels when matched few a good 30-80 lb fast action rod with silicon carbide guides. I love the light weight for stand-up fishing. Having said all this there is nothing wrong with mono and that may be the right line for your needs

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agee with the mono as a top shot. In the end you will save money and change your topshot more often. I have used this method for years with just plain dacron and top shot of mono. There is still nothing wrong with old school dacron backing if you want to save a few $$$. It will last for years.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Great info guys! What does wetting you line accomplish. Makes sense to me just don't know the pupose???? As for me I put 80 on my 50's and 60 on my 30's. Momoi or whatever is available.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys time, to get to a shop an get r done.

·
Registered
194 Posts
FWIW, I use Momoi Diamond. 80# on the 50W's, 40# on the 30's. I updated the washers for the heavier line, clear blue on the 2 50W's and 2 of the 30's, fluorescent yellow on the other 2 30's. As stated above, not right or wrong, just my preference as I don't get out much and still waiting for bank account to recover before considering braids w/top shots.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Captain's John & Diana said:
I agree with the above posts 100% but we are now using Jerry Brown hollow core spectra on almost all our new reels.
Isn't that Jerry Brown hollow core about $300 per inch? :) ... or am I thinking about another hollow spectra?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Wetting the line

Wetting the line makes it a little more pliable and I think it goes on a little cleaner. It also helps keep your fingers cool when you guide the line on ;)

I usually put the spool of line in a small bucket of water (one thats just big enough for the spool and to keep it upright in the water). This also puts a little more tension on the line, but it makes a mess if you do it in the living room :D

Oh yeah, I use 60# Momoi high catch, smoke color on my 50 TWs.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
bear 13 said:
Great info guys! What does wetting you line accomplish. Makes sense to me just don't know the pupose???? As for me I put 80 on my 50's and 60 on my 30's. Momoi or whatever is available.
Wetting the line keeps it from heating up and possibly damaging it as you load with pressure...;)

To clarify why I run a little lighter line tahn some of the recommendations is I do a lot of blue marlin fishing and thats all about capacity as they know how to pull a bunch in ahurry. The lightish drags I use because at long distance runs the spool diameter of remaining line has diminished a lot and the drag can effectively double that far down...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts