BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if somebody can recommend a good outfit for bunker spoon trolling. I am setting out 7' trolling rods w/150' of wire line on top of 250' of mono. I use 6' flourocarbon leader attached to a snap swivel attached to the bunker spoon. Problem is I am not getting the pumping action out of the rods that I should be getting. I set the spread out while stopped so it drops deep and am trolling at 3 kts. I am thinking the answer could lie in longer rods (like 9 footers)? Trolling is not my favorite thing in the world, I am willing to invest in the gear I need to get it done when I have to.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
call me about a trolling rod i will give you some info guys like a 7' and some guys like a 8'+

[ 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: paul708 ]

·
Registered
881 Posts
Penn 113HSP reels work well for me and currently I have Penn 7 foot 20-40 lb roller guide rods but am considering doing some custom wire line rods since I fish this way a lot. A pair of outrodders is nice to have as the spoons track better w/ them and seem to get a run w/ a more natural pumping action. 40lb monel wire line (mono backing) w/ abt 12 feet of mono or fluoro leader (I don't think it matters). I sure guys have variations of this as more are getting into tweaking this technique. I like the silver 16 oz spoons and paint a red stripe on them. The spoons in white and chartreuse work well too. In my limited experience wire line trolling w/ bunker spoons had produced the largest bass for me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
you might want to go with something bigger than 7 foot. I use a 9 foot seeker rod that is very soft and these rods give you the "pumping" action you're looking for. I have penn senator for a reel. You definetly need outroders in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
150' of wire doesnt sound like enough either. I use 8' Star bunker spoon rods with the reel mentioned above with dacron backing, 300' of 40# monel marked every 50' and about 20' of 40-50# mono. I use these rods for umbrella rigs and bunker spoons only and outrodders are a must.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all for your recommendations. I am using outrodders, so that is not the problem. Sounds like longer softer rods and possibly more wire is the ticket. 2 nine-ft rods will be added to the arsonel for the season... It never ends!!!!! I hope the old lady doesn't look at this site :) Here we go again. Anyone ever figure out the price per pound we pay for our fish :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Kevin Bogan for sure!!!!!

·
Registered
689 Posts
my rods for my large bunker spoons are 11 foot with a parabolic bend means they bend throughout the whole rod not just the tip.the soft slowerpumping action makes the spoon drop back and shoot forward enticing the bass to hit.i have tried others that pulled the lures fine but i could not catch a bass on them,not sure exactly why.just know they did not work for me.louis

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I have run the spoons on varying types of rods and have caught on just about all but the rods made specifically for them produce better in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts