BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general passing of information, last week I was in Cayman Islands and Honduras and I tried to send an "OK" message from my Spot Messenger but was unsuccessful due to the lack of a position fix.Later in the week I was successful in sending a signal from the Yucatan. Prior to this recent failure I have been successful sending the "OK" message on numerous occasions throughout the US and the offshore waters of the midatlantic. The failure was not an operator error nor was it due to a lack of good coverage available according to Spot's area coverage map. When I returned home I contacted Spot and they advised if this happens again, not being able to obtain a fix, ( the blinking lights on the unit will indicate this) to turn the unit off than back on again. This proceedure is not explained in the operators manual and I have not had the occasion to try it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
So if a person wanted to send an "I'm OK" message to his concerned wife while fishing offshore, this unit would work. Correct? We're one of those boats that says we're planning on being back on that dock by 1 and usually get back at 4...

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Good to know. My friend got one after he lived through the earthquake in Haiti. It doesnt replace a satellilte phone or EPIRB, but its a neat unit for the little amount of money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.