BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading down next week to nags head and was wondering if anyone can give me some detailed info. on fishing the inlet and other areas. I rented a yak for the week and would love to land somthing with some size like a red, cobia, or a king. I'm thinking if I get a nice day I'll live line a taylor blue out front past the breakers and just work my way up or down the beach. Any info would be great. Info on stripers in the sound and trout would be great also. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
KItty Hawk Rentals on Rt 158 opposite the Big Sand Dune (can't miss it). Has everything you need. On the web, use google. Fish in and around Oregon Inlet. Nice "fish map" location map at TW's BT on Rt. 158 in Kitty Hawk with the 7-11 gas station in front.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Not familiar with the fishing near Nags Head, but just got back from a weeks vacation in Avon and we went out on a charter for speckled trout behind Hatteras and had some pretty good action on fish up to 20 inches. We caught all of our fish on 3/8 oz bright orange jig heads with chartreuse twister tails and also picked up one weakfish, flounder skate and a bunch of blues. Was a blast catching them on light tackle in shallow water. The captain even picked one up on a zara spook topwater plug.

If you enjoy eating fish, save a couple specks for the table cause they were delicious... If you are up for a road trip to Hatteras, let me know and I'll pass on the guides info. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Success at fishing for big fish up that way depends on the wind direction. If it is light out of the NE, E, or SE, you will have clear warm water. Any wind out of the west, especially SW, makes the water dirty and cold.

As far as techniques, your bluefish idea sounds great. There are also usually bunker schools (fatbacks in Dixieland) moving along the beach so bring some snag hooks. The guys on the piers also catch bottom fish (spots and croakers) and liveline them off the end for kings and cobes. Keep that in mind if the water is muddy in the surf but clear water can be seen just off the beach. Throw some shrimp, catch some spot and take them out in the yak.

If you're not having luck with the big fish, cast small spoons and gotcha plugs for spanish and blues.

Good luck and give us a report as I will be down there the 2nd week in July.

One last word of advice, watch out for sharks. Brian Horsley has been catching blacktips on a regular basis somewhere just outside of OI. Locals on the piers have also told me of big sharks cruising just outside the surf line.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Drift for fluke too I've caught many in the surf although most of my fishing has been down around Hatteras. Good Luck!!! Buy your groceries and coctails before you get on the island liquor can only be bought at state stores.

[ 06-27-2006, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Vitalsigns ]

·
Registered
740 Posts
In the sound you will find patches of grass out from the shore, look around, there will be reds there. Try casting some grass shrimp to them.And the docks near the free ramp across from Pirate's cove usually holds weakies, just before and after dark, but watch for boat traffic. One more spot is the cove where the old coast gaurd station used to be, inside Oregon Inlet, you never know what you'll catch there. Under the OI bridge, next to the pilings there should be a real mixed bag too. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Just got back from a week in Nags Head. Sorry to say the fishing was horrible except for yellowfin and big eye's. Nobody caught anything from the piers, my 14" flukes (legal down there) would have won the pool on the party boat I went on if I kept them (Miss OI), and tons of tiny croakers are all over the back bay. We rented a 24' pontoon boat for a day which was a lot of fun, but the biggest fish was a 10" croaker. Didn't try from the surf. Wish I had a better report to give you. Stop by the OI fishing center around 3:00pm and see the big tuna's coming in and you might decide to charter, I'd recommend the "Pelican".

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
Originally posted by BayRat:
P.S. Stripers are out of season down there, all have to go back.
This from 2006 NC DMF regulations:

Albemarle Sound Management Area: contact DMF for seasons, areas or other limits; Atlantic Ocean year-round: 2 per person per day at 28" TL minimum; Other coastal areas (excluding Inland Waters-regulations set by Wildlife Resource Commission) year-round: 3 per person per day at 18" TL minimum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts