BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its almost time fellas the big girls will be here before ya know it. I was wondering when using surf clam in the spring how do you guys fish them ? Do you keep your baitrunner on or do you keep your reel locked up and dead stick em? Also what size hook do you preffer? And lastly when do you guys usually switch from clam to Bunker in the spring?

·
Registered
374 Posts
personally I like three way swivels better than fish finder for castability-having your clam out past the rest of the 25 clams around will ensure more hookups-I also tie on my clam so i can take a long hard cast, and use a 10' rod at least-By the time the bunker comes I'm long switched to artificials-:thumbsup:

·
Registered
21,839 Posts
Its almost time fellas the big girls will be here before ya know it. I was wondering when using surf clam in the spring how do you guys fish them ? Do you keep your baitrunner on or do you keep your reel locked up and dead stick em? Also what size hook do you preffer? And lastly when do you guys usually switch from clam to Bunker in the spring?
Fishfinder rig and a 5/0 Gami Octopus hook is all I need.

Cast it out, get clam on bottom and wait for hit. Which is a big slurp. Set hook and the fight is on.

In the spring I hold the rod, when I feel the slurp, I lower rod, feel fish and set the hook.

None of the clicker type fishing for me in the spring for stripers.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
slider rig here also. soon as something touches clam its in trouble. one thing you have to do is try and hold rod so bait lays flat on bottom not bouncing up n down with boat. if its bumpy i will follow the waves to keep line still as i can.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
good stuff mentioned here...:thumbsup: locked up, softer hits in early spring on the snot....I use up to a 7/0 gami...and the switch over to bunker is later spring usually around the exit time of the bass from the D river....super duper fresh is key...saw that first hand 40 yards away last year when I couldnt get super fresh...fortunately the capt. was a nice fellow and gave me his left overs after he had his 6 man limit and left.:thumbsup:..wow its almost that time...:D

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Depends on preference, but I like to lock em up with circles in the spring using clam. Like mentioned earlier, the bass will "slurp" the bait in and turn away. With the softer bait, most of the time the hookset is right in the corner. Especially good for the little guys:D

Now when we are bunker chunking, 10/0 gammis with the baitrunner on is how we do it. We will switch to circles when we are in release mode:thumbsup:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I fish clam like bunker - in freespool with clicker on. Most of my clam bites are not big slurps and a run - they are little taps. When I see a tap I pick up the rod, turn the clicker off and feed some line. If a fish is pulling I set the hook.

I have watched these little taps on the rod tips and without feeding line there is no hookup and no runoff. I believe the bass are picking at edges and trailing pieces of clam on the hook and have not committed to it yet. The freespool lets the bait walk away from the bass and they pounce on it. By the third week of April I am fishing clam and bunker and with switch the rods over to whatever the fish want. Once I have an all (or mostly) bunker day I stick with it for the rest of the spring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.