BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting the itch to get out and as much as I enjoy my 4 wt and chasing trout, I love salt fishing.

As things begin to thaw out, when would it be worth taking out the 8wt? I was thinking that walking the back sod banks would start producing before the jetties and beaches.

Has anyone been out recently with any luck? Anyone planning on heading out soon?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Steve When I was there we could access close to Beesely Point power plant close to the warm water discharge. Usually the place where they were first caught. Don't know if you can still get there but worthwhile checking out. Hippers were enough. Wish you luck.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Steve I get itchy too. Like Ron said near where the water warms up is you best shot for salt or up one of the rivers where the sun can warm up the water a little more. Down at the shore it has been colder than the past few years. I sounds a little strange but I find I see better action in the ocean before our back bays down here in Cape May. It might be because we do not have all that much back bay area and with the deeper inlet with some heavy flow of water it doesn't warm up as fast as those area that have large shallow back flats to the north. Since you fish freshwater too, I would try some of the ponds and lakes that hold pickerel, yellow perch and crappie. I find they produce on the fly all winter long as long as there is no ice. Flashy little baitfish patterns with neutral bouancy seem to work well as you can ghost them along or twitch them a bit. If the water is super clear more subtle flies work well. I have a few deep ponds that I fish that were sand pits and they are fairly deep. Here I find using and intermediate line and counting it down 10 to 12 seconds before retrieving it work well. Normally I would of fished about 20 times by now (freshwater) but we had ice most of the winter. I did try last week but it was close to freezing and we had a 25 mph wind. All I could take was an hour before my hands felt like they were going to fall off and I quit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard about how fun pond/small lake fishing can be. I definitely want to try it. But that still doesn't scratch my saltwater itch!

I don't won a boat, is there a way to access the back bay creeks and such safely on foot? I have walked sod banks before, but I never venture to far from where the car is parked or where I know is safe. I sometimes see clean-up work being doing out in the marshes by people on foot.

I've always wanted to just get on foot and start walkng the marshes in April and May looking for creeks and warmer areas but obviously don't want to get stuck waist deep as the tides coming in!

Anything to fill the time before the ocean/inlets/bay warm up a bit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And, Sparse. I've heard about Beesley before. do they only run the plant at certain times?

I saw something online the other day that said the plant wasn't running, therefore, no warmer water. If I know its running and the discharge is warming things up, I'll certainly get out there on foot and explore.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I'm getting the itch to get out and as much as I enjoy my 4 wt and chasing trout, I love salt fishing.

As things begin to thaw out, when would it be worth taking out the 8wt? I was thinking that walking the back sod banks would start producing before the jetties and beaches.

Has anyone been out recently with any luck? Anyone planning on heading out soon?
Its VERY sporadic until we start getting over night temps averaging 45 or higher. Night fishing tends to be the most consistent for a while at first. With the majority of the fish in April towards ocean city due to their spawning ground in the river. The last few years it's been a few fish every other day on my marsh then it turns on like a light switch. The water right now is very clear , in other words, quite unfertile. Once the micro fry grow into suitable prey for the predators the bass seemingly appear out of nowhere overnight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts