BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if you could indulge a novice surf fisherman for a moment, I would like to know what types of lures you prefer for this time of year. I've heard metals are best for spring, if so what types. I need to update the surf bag. Would it be better to soak clams? If so which side of the Island? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
White bucktails with you choice of trailer, pencil poppers, schoolbus bomber, 4-5 inch swim shads, large metal lipped swimmers. I always have metal in my bag;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Whoever told you about tins was probably thinking sand eels as predominant bait
Since these long and slender baits like to burrow themselves into sand ,it makes lures long and thing in profile ,that can be worked close to the bottom the best choice
So yes ,slender thins and bucktail with pork rind are deadly imitation.
Of course ,clams will outfish on most days while the water temperatures are frigid and bass are not feeding that aggressively yet

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
http://www.thebassbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134217&page=2

My reply in this thread pretty much sums it up for me year round in SJ. I carry some large pluggage around for when the time is right and try to have some fresh clams with me at all times in the spring. Usually toss a clam out for a cigarette break and many times never go back to tossin lures.

RyanF

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I don t think you can go wrong with clams out front this time of year, But if you don t wanna smell up you truck, with that clammy smell. I think a 2 oz Bucktail with a pork trailer or Mr Twister tail, and small teaser tied 24 inches above it, bounced off the bottom slowly is the way to go..I like artificials only for the additional challenge it offers and the greater reward when you do hook up that keeper.

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 Work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts