BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will we get a shot at the spring run of macks? Seems like it started at the end of March when they showed at all in prior years. Can any of you captains who are out there looking around give us a heads up?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi Gene:
for the past 5 seasons, I have caught these fish and this is what I have found. Water temps 47-49 usually around April 15th-give or take a few days. The run lasts 1-3 days for us at best. In our area, I usually start hunting for them around the stone beds. I'm glued to my fish finder-when I find them, there's no mistake about it with the way they show up. Drop on top of them, and you will catch. My best trip total was around 60-70 fish solo. Nobody I know likes to chase these fish, however, I like to even though it seems like there are hardly any left these days. It may be earlier this year due to warmer ocean temps, but I will be watching and will keep you posted. This is Mario from Graef Boatyard. P.S. If you hear of any bluefish reports whatsoever in our area or to the south, it's over!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mario!

Thanks for the report. I'll keep in touch.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Great baits,I will keep a eye out for any reports ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Captainaaron,I fish out of GE inlet. In the past years i have found them from 3-12 miles out at places like the stonebeds,tabletop GE-reef and the dog lump.Hope they show up this year! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
fin/mav said:
Drop on top of them, and you will catch. My best trip total was around 60-70 fish solo.
Capt. is it like fishing for blues, they'll pretty much eat anything you throw at them or what's the deal? I would like to freeze some for the So. Jersey Shark Tourny. Ant info would be great!

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
inline rigs

Fighting Irish45 said:
Capt. is it like fishing for blues, they'll pretty much eat anything you throw at them or what's the deal? I would like to freeze some for the So. Jersey Shark Tourny. Ant info would be great!
just jig...

Inline rigs with colored surgical tubing, and a sinker on the bottom, no bait needed, some of the new rigs have fancy flashy mylar and stuff, but the plain old surgical tubing rigs do the trick, we went off @ the end of january and loaded up for shark fishing...

http://www.seastriker.com/clarkspoon/clarkspoon_files/image9141.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts