BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great spring run. We had ALOT of fish over thirty pounds, and released most of em. The bunker schools and chilly water seem to have kept the fish around longer than usual.

The water was 59 degrees through Saturday morning, than it jumped to 70, and the bite stopped.

I released this one

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then I kept a 42" that jumped 10 times and fought like a dog shark!

And ended up with a 39 pound beauty.....

G

·
Nice job! I was on the harvey cedars beaches saturday morning and saw plenty of boats out there. had some bunker come by but nothing chasing them. did you get those fish on live baits or chunks? just curious.

Nick

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
SWEET!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Now that's a good report

Great job

You need a dated newspaper in there for completeness.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surfrat, I try everything, but lately it's mainly bunker. Most people are doing best on snagged baits. That fishing might keep going, I hear ocean bathers are still seeing big stripers, but I'm switching over to offshore fishing.

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Need better pictures of location some of us aren't well versed on geography. ;) :D

Nice job send them back this way for a few days so the Pond guys have something to do. :D

G

·
Re-Bait,
Im sorry my question wasnt more direct. From The pic's i know your using BUNKER!! i was just curious if those fish ate chunked bunker or live-lined bunker. again congrats on the catch! and great pic's as well. i've been tellin a buddy of mine to chunk em' b/c there are so many bunker around that these bass arent going to chase all of them when one of them is bound to stagger a bit or get bit in half by a blue.
Nick

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recently it's been cut bunker that was working for me. But most boaters are doing it witg live bunker. I tried...

to no avail.

If you look close you can see the bait in photo one....it's what's missing out of photo 2

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Looks like a noggin

Nice fish, worth saying again

Report form a buddy up in Long Beach, they are all over the place up there. Same thing, all the 30 pounders and up you could want. time to head North, they left us

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
surfrat:

you mentioned bunker going by but not being chased......

As far as I know, and from talking to some guys who are doing really well with the liveling, the pods really arent showing busting fish. The bass are shadowing the pods and eating only the sick and dying that fall down, making an easy meal. Therefore the bunker arent really looking excited. If you see a pod w/i range, snag one regardless of wehter or not you see them being chased. It could be a waste of time or result in the fish of a lifetime.

I was on a HC beach Sat am also and snagged a bunker that resulted in my personal best fish....50" and 48lbs, so their there. And no fish were showing in that pod..

G

·
Circlehook, congrats on that fish ..wow!! did i see your pic at Bruce & pats? very nice. i did try to snag them but they were to far out. i had semi-deep water in front of me so i couldnt wade out too far for them. im headin down friday moring with the wife for fluke and kingies. but will have rod ready for them bunker if they show up. we(me and dad)were in HCon saturday morning as well but didnt get down until 730. bunker came by around 9am, heading north.

Nick

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
yup, pic is on there. FYI plenty of pods still around but none w/i casting range this am.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Surf Rat:
I fished the pods for two days from the beach, and nothing even though I livelined bunker for a long time. Days 3 and 4 I kayaked out past the pods and live lined bunker on the OUTSIDE EDGE of the school and hooked three fish. The two I landed were twins at 44.5" and 33 lbs. It seemed the bass were attcking the stragglers from the deep water instead of the beach side. Go rent a yak if you do not have access to one.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
got some slot bass on LBI the past few days.... all right their not quite 20's but July surf bass are fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts