BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know, or have ever heard of freshwater springs existing within the backwater chanels or sounds?

G

·
There is a fresh water spring between the sunset lake channel & the 50 cent bridge it shows 50to 67 foot depth.There are fish near it but never in it.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
NICK-I ALWAYS WAS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT 60FT CREEK WHERE IT INTERSECTS THE ICW WAS LIKE EVERY OTHER JUCTION OFF DIFFERENT WATERS COMMING TOGETHER MAKING A HOLE.I'M NOT SAYING ITS NOT A SPRING BUT IN 50 YEARS OF BEING AROUND IT I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT.THE CLOSEST SPRING TO MY KNOWLEDGE IS WHERE A LITTLE TIDAL CREEK COME RIGHT UP NEXT TO CAPE MAY NATIONAL GOLF CLUB.WHICH I HAVE BEEN TOLD HAS FRESH WATER LAKES.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not asking for any location of such a "spot" ;) of course , but only if anyone can confirm that such a thing exists.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
60 FT.CREEK OR HOLE IS NO SECRET spot.IF YOU CAME OUT OF SUNSET LAKE AND STARTED TOWARD THE 50CENT BRIDGE IT WOULD BE THE CREEK ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE ABOUT 3/8 OF A MILE DOWN.THE DEEP HOLE IS JUST OUTSIDE THE ENTRANCE TO THE CREEK AT A PLACE WHERE THE CURRENTS MEET AND DIG.THERE ARE A LOT OF JUCTIONS OF TWO WATERS THAT HAVE DEEP SPOTS AND A FEW ARE FURTHER BACK TOWARDS THE PARKWAY.WHAT CAPT.SCOTT SAID ABOUT AN OLD INLET CALLED TURTLE GUT IS ON A FEW OLD MAPS.LAST SUMMER I WAS GOING TO GO TO THE MEUSUM ON PACIFIC AVE AND LOOK IT U,MAYBE IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.

[ 01-22-2004, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Biggest, Thanks for that info, didn't mean to say that area was a secret, but what I am asking is if anyone knows wether or not springs "exist" in the backwaters.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
TURTLE GUT INLET WAS LOCATED AT 38 59. 0 N.IN 1776 THE FIRST BATTLE AGAINST THE BRITISH IN SOUTH JERSEY WAS FOUGHT AT TURTLE GUT INLET.
COLD SPRINGS INLET WAS COMPETED IN 1911 AND CHANGED THE COASTLINE FOR MILES AND NATURALY CLOSED TURTLE GUT.THE OLD INLET WAS LOCATED AT NEW JERSEY AND MIAMI IN THE CREST THEN KNOWN AS HOLLY BEACH.THIS CLOSURE MADE TWO SEPERATE ISLANDS ONE.THIS WHOLE PROCESS ALSO WAS THE MAIN REASON HERFORD BECAME A DITCH INSTEAD OF ONE OF THE BUSIEST INLETS ON THE COAST.WHEN I READ CAPT.SCOTTS POST I WENT TO GOOGLE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts