BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, asking for thoughts on best Baits / Rigs for spring striper. Do the same things from the Fall work in the spring?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
chunking-bunker,clams n bellies
rips-bucktail tip with mac, eels

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
how about herring. chunk some fresh herring in the Spring. The stripers have the taste for it. But- we did amazingly well on clam in the spring- right in the bay.

rips- white buck with a herring strip

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Tom,wow how could i leave out herring,live,strips or cunks

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Partnership - you hit the nail on da head - rips-white buck with a herring strip

Hopefully the spring run in North Jersey will be half as good as last years with all the bunker in close - if it is I'll be live lineing from boat, shore or yak.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
For The Land Fishermen,Bloodworms fished
in the BackBays or Surf will Produce BigTime..
Standard Bait Rigs to either Float of Keep on
the Bottom will work....

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
[ 02-17-2004, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
The incredible, edible, soft, juicy, succulent, spissula solidisima, bivalve that we call CLAM.

:D Eat clams, spawn longer :D

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by Brian E. Mullaney:
Skip - do mackeral run down there??? Size???

Just thinking of flies to tie
Brian,

They do run down here! Sometimes for a week you will see them...Sometimes for three weeks..It depends! Also they are here usually when the stripers are here... Bad timing :( ;)

But if a charter wanted to go for them...I would go...They are fun too catch! :cool:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Been a couple few years since we had a good shot on the Bostons in the spring. I can remember spending Easter weekends filling up the tubs with them. Sure would like to see that again! Headboats used to make the 1st money of the season chasing them down.

Used to be we'd run south off Del. to get the 1st shot, & if the weather held, you could fish for them for 3-4 weeks!

I even have videos of it! Mackeral fishin in the mornin & wrecking in the afternoon! When it was good! REAL ANIMAL FISHIN SKIP! ;)

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I ran outside my numero uno spot last May (hint: river in Mass) and got some macks in 100 ft of water - live-lined one and a cow came up to her but turned away :(

I will try the same this year.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
clams, fished in the back, on my 18"cc. Last few yrs. been the best ever. Don't know if it's me, the clams or just luck ;)

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
that's 18'cc :eek: :D

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by BBunker:
Been a couple few years since we had a good shot on the Bostons in the spring. I can remember spending Easter weekends filling up the tubs with them. Sure would like to see that again! Headboats used to make the 1st money of the season chasing them down.

Used to be we'd run south off Del. to get the 1st shot, & if the weather held, you could fish for them for 3-4 weeks!

I even have videos of it! Mackeral fishin in the mornin & wrecking in the afternoon! When it was good! REAL ANIMAL FISHIN SKIP! ;)
If they were shot on the MCM...Look for a little scrawny kid running around like a crazy person. Guess who that would be :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts