BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of what I expected for the current spring striper season and fresh bunker market turns out to be the exact opposite of what we see now in our part of the bay. Local supply of bunker is up, price is down and again the watermen seem to be in a difficult position with an uncertain market. They are paying higher expenses, moving more fish and getting less for them. I updated my article at http://www.moneyislandmarina.com/whats-up-with-bunker-this-year.html to reflect the inaccurate predictions. While all of this is good news for striper fishing right now, I don't think we should be surprised if regulations and supply tighten at some point in the future. We will know more as crabbing season picks up and stabilizes the wholesale price of bait fish.

Demand for fresh bait has been weak locally despite a strong spring striper season. I doubt that our marina has sold more than two baskets of bait for the whole season so far. We see few boats going out from other marinas, yet those few who do are coming back with nice catches. Not knowing how to react, our marina may pull back on bait sales until the market improves.

What are you seeing in your area?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Honestly I can say that there has been a good supply of fresh bunker at every bait shop I have been in from Gibbstown to Cape May. I buy where it is most convenient for me first, then by who has the best price. I know all the shops I bought from this season have been selling over 500 fish each weekend and probaly another 500 over the weekdays.
Don't take this the wrong was but if I was going to launch from your marina, and I pass 3 bait shop on the way that sell bunks for $1.25- $1.50 each and you have them for $2.50- $3.00...what could you expect anyone to do??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of what I expected for the current spring striper season and fresh bunker market turns out to be the exact opposite of what we see now in our part of the bay. Local supply of bunker is up, price is down and again the watermen seem to be in a difficult position with an uncertain market. They are paying higher expenses, moving more fish and getting less for them. I updated my article at http://www.moneyislandmarina.com/whats-up-with-bunker-this-year.html to reflect the inaccurate predictions. While all of this is good news for striper fishing right now, I don't think we should be surprised if regulations and supply tighten at some point in the future. We will know more as crabbing season picks up and stabilizes the wholesale price of bait fish.
Demand for fresh bait has been weak locally despite a strong spring striper season. I doubt that our marina has sold more than two baskets of bait for the whole season so far. We see few boats going out from other marinas, yet those few who do are coming back with nice catches. Not knowing how to react, our marina may pull back on bait sales until the market improves.

Where was the strong striper season? Started late, cold, rainy, windy. If you went up to the nuke plant yes but the bay not so much

·
Registered
4,298 Posts

I bought bunker last weekend for $2.25 between Cape May and Wildwood Crest. I was going to buy more but at that price I don't think so. As far as a strong spring season goes it is hot and cold off the beach but really slow in the lower bay off boats. I will skip buying bunker and just burn some fuel and go snag some.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Strong striper season ? You got to be kidding . The Power Plant is river fishing from where I sit. Higbee's has had nice bunker @ $18 / dozen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Strong striper season ? You got to be kidding . The Power Plant is river fishing from where I sit. Higbee's has had nice bunker @ $18 / dozen.
Not sure where you guys are fishing, but have been catching 40+" bass almost at will for the last week. I am fishing in the lower bay from the beach.

·
Registered
120 Posts
spring striper/bunker situation...?

Not sure where you guys are fishing, but have been catching 40+" bass almost at will for the last week. I am fishing in the lower bay from the beach.[/QUOTE You must have found a honey hole. Maybe you should share where you were. Not much in the way of reports in the lower bay at all. If you were good for you, but have not seen many posts at all for the lower bay...boat or beach. Maybe you should throw us a bone. Almost all bass caught from Nuke area and this is no secret. I was stupid enough to dock my boat south...too far to run north. Next year I may change location. Even people launching from the money area are not going to burn the gas to make the run for an honest effort. Shoot...even from the mouth of the cohansey, it is 5-8 miles to get near the fish. Hooker is the biggest bragart on the forum so far, but good for him...I wish I could fish even half the days he does. But he is launching smart..not stoopid like me. I caught fish up there with Skip this year, so i know the fish are there. Will they come down? Maybe not...they may make their escape thru the C & D. I have made several calls for bait and have not seen $2/bunk yet. No one will come to Money Island for $2.25 bait until it is the cheapest around and the fish are out front...period. Personally, I have to relearn this fishery again, I have not caught good since Nov 2011 by Ship John light, when I could not keep them out of my boat. But that was pre-sandy and pre-cold snap winters. I have had no business reporting nothing (empty catches) on the "barn". Haven't even lurked for 1.5 years or so. I am not trying to offend anyone, but just needed to vent for nothing. The "strong striper season" has been in one area, and nowhere else. And I am just as bummed out about it as the next guy. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Not sure where you guys are fishing, but have been catching 40+" bass almost at will for the last week. I am fishing in the lower bay from the beach.[/QUOTE You must have found a honey hole. Maybe you should share where you were. Not much in the way of reports in the lower bay at all. If you were good for you, but have not seen many posts at all for the lower bay...boat or beach. Maybe you should throw us a bone. Almost all bass caught from Nuke area and this is no secret. I was stupid enough to dock my boat south...too far to run north. Next year I may change location. Even people launching from the money area are not going to burn the gas to make the run for an honest effort. Shoot...even from the mouth of the cohansey, it is 5-8 miles to get near the fish. Hooker is the biggest bragart on the forum so far, but good for him...I wish I could fish even half the days he does. But he is launching smart..not stoopid like me. I caught fish up there with Skip this year, so i know the fish are there. Will they come down? Maybe not...they may make their escape thru the C & D. I have made several calls for bait and have not seen $2/bunk yet. No one will come to Money Island for $2.25 bait until it is the cheapest around and the fish are out front...period. Personally, I have to relearn this fishery again, I have not caught good since Nov 2011 by Ship John light, when I could not keep them out of my boat. But that was pre-sandy and pre-cold snap winters. I have had no business reporting nothing (empty catches) on the "barn". Haven't even lurked for 1.5 years or so. I am not trying to offend anyone, but just needed to vent for nothing. The "strong striper season" has been in one area, and nowhere else. And I am just as bummed out about it as the next guy. Thanks for reading.
Why is Hooker a "bragart". Because he puts time in, goes where the fish are, shares his trip? Did you ever meet him, fish with him??? You'll find many that did will tell that's the opposite of what he is. Never met him before and he helped with tips, flounder rigs he made. I always like when people ask me does he catch that many fish and I see them with my own eyes at the dock ha ha. He's almost as good as I am flounder fishing. :D:D

·
Registered
281 Posts
It has become the brag barn. Most post pictures of their catches with very little info besides the amount they caught and length or pounds. Don't get me wrong there are some who stick to a format of general location depth tide and temps. This helps alot rather then "we got em good" or "went 6 for 12" etc. As far as paying for bait, I dock at Money Island and know the guys who tend nets in the area up there. I don't mind paying the extra because I know the bait comes still flopping off the boat and into the cooler. Its not mixed with day or two old bait. Also if they don't have any then I have to drive and waste time and money to find some. So I'm not really saving any money by getting it else where. Far as finding fish goes, that's part of the game. If the fish were in the same spot all the time it would be boring. If your complain about money maybe its time to find another hobby because fishing/boating isn't for the light pocket.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I normally post in the surf forum. Look at the threads titled Priceless. If anyone wants details pm me. I just had even Steven pm me the other day and he caught the next day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.