BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is the year I am going to give fishing the spring season from land a real honest bid, I will be soaking bait and have a 10' and 12' set ups to toss the baits......I am thinking more of apperal to stay dry. I have neoprene chest waders, guess I need a belt and a dry top?....how dry does that keep you if you take a heavy one while wading out to make a cast?

Eventually I will get a pair of corkers but I dont see myself hopping rocks in the dark....or light for that matter anytime soon, not exactly a ton of rocks to hop between sea isle and north cape may anyway from what I see compared to up north.....and it seems like a recipe for disaster for me anyway:eek:

My other question......tossing more than 6 oz with both my set ups is about max......how much better do the sputnicks hold, optimal weight + bait for me to toss is 4 oz or so, baits will be clam, herring and bunker chunks...I realise a big bait needs more weight to keep it in place......how well do the sputnicks hold compared to a frogs tounge or pyramid?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Sputnicks are great. You probably won't need more than 4oz most of the time. You certainly don't need to wade out where you're taking waves over your waders to catch Stripers. Most of them will be in close. I usually start by throwing one way out and another I barely lob out to see what's happening. If no bites, I'll try different distances. Usually the close one does the best. It helps if you can identify a cut where they congragate. The days I needed heavy weight to hold, were not the most productive days.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Lots of good questions.

During the spring, I normally have to use at least a 5-6oz pyramid sinker with a whole surf clam. A sputnik will hold better than pyramids and you do not have to use as heavy as a weight, but the downside is they cost more.

A dry top is not a must, but definitely recommended. I'm purchasing one this year. I've been using a hunting rain jacket, but I do get wet from time to time.

Neoprene waders are good, but they can get very hot on some of those warm spring days.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
in my opinion sputniks hold about 50% better then anything else.
neoprene will roast you on a warm spring day.....look to get breathables for comfort.
a good rainjacket should work well with a wader belt.dry top is great but costly.
1 of your outfits shoud be able to throw 5-6 plus bait for those nasty days.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
In my experience sputnicks hold about an ounce heavier than they weigh. For example a 4 oz. sputnick seems to hold like a 5 oz. pyramid. I don't really think you need more than good hip boots to play in the surf. Around IBSP the water drops off pretty fast and you can't gain much by wearing waders before you are under water. I also think that in areas like strathmere where it is a much slighter drop and you could get out farther I end up casting the same distance because I can not fully load up my rod during the cast as the water height restricts my casting motion. I say learn how to cast farther and you will be fine.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Helley Hanson makes a rainjacket for around 60 or 70 bucks that has neoprene cuffs and is waterproof. I got one for Christmas and have only used it once, but alot farmers only use their stuff, so it should hold up good and keep you dry. A drytop is going to run you $200+.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of good questions.

During the spring, I normally have to use at least a 5-6oz pyramid sinker with a whole surf clam. A sputnik will hold better than pyramids and you do not have to use as heavy as a weight, but the downside is they cost more.

A dry top is not a must, but definitely recommended. I'm purchasing one this year. I've been using a hunting rain jacket, but I do get wet from time to time.

Neoprene waders are good, but they can get very hot on some of those warm spring days.

Dont I know it, I am soaked after an evening fish down on the wissahickon trout fising.....BUT I would rather be too warm and peel the chest waders down inbetween casts....than be cold.

·
Registered
187 Posts
JMO in SJ beaches you don't need to cast far. 1 6/0 J hook
on a fish finder rig w/ clam in the spring. Also 9 to 10 foot rod
with a bait runner if yuo're gonna spike 1 & hold 1. Distance isn't
everything in SJ.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Spikefish, you fish Brigantine at high tide, and then at low tide? Chances are you are fishing the same spot low tide as you were at high tide. Only difference is you moved your truck 100 yards closer to the water. Same scenario in Wildwood, only 150 yards closer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I live for the spring the bite from the beach. I agree with the above posts regarding sputnicks however if you end up fishing during/near the new or full moon a 6oz sputnick hasnt got chance. This past spring I lost several fish/rigs while fishing some rough water during a moon tide. Where I fish the beach drops right off so the trough is just past the breakers. The bottom is nothing but broken shells, rocks, and sharp stuff to nick your line. If you cant hole bottom your rig doesnt stand a chance. As far as corkers go, I only us them while plugging. If you find yourself watching guys on the rocks landing fish and you dont have a pair it will take one good spill or one big bass on the end of someone else's line to rationalize the purchase. Also, IMO a dry top is not necessary Save your money. South Jersey is far from Montauk literally and figuratively.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Dont I know it, I am soaked after an evening fish down on the wissahickon trout fising.....BUT I would rather be too warm and peel the chest waders down inbetween casts....than be cold.
I have a pair of breathable chest waders that I use and have no problem staying warm. Surf fisherman that are just dunking bait are normally only in the water for 1-2 minutes while wading out to cast. If I was going to be plugging or standing in a cold river/creek then neoprene would certainly be a better option. I guess the best case scenario would be to have both.

Maybe this year in April we can have a barn fishing gathering at the Wissy. I know a few guys on here that frequent that 'crick'. :D

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm in too..:D

JoeD- I never replied to your previous post(sorry), but I'm in for this years trout run and hopefully some spring bass from the beach! :thumbsup:

Shawn- I am up for a weekday surf trip whenever you are!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
To my Montgomery County BB buddies, set a date and I am there as well for a Spring run trip to fish the surf. It will proably be a dark o'clock run down and we would need to reserve a bushel of Clams for all of us. We can use 24/7 Bait and Tackle in Somers Point.

GSBB

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I have a pair of breathable chest waders that I use and have no problem staying warm. Surf fisherman that are just dunking bait are normally only in the water for 1-2 minutes while wading out to cast. If I was going to be plugging or standing in a cold river/creek then neoprene would certainly be a better option. I guess the best case scenario would be to have both.

Maybe this year in April we can have a barn fishing gathering at the Wissy. I know a few guys on here that frequent that 'crick'. :D
Actually breathable waders are much more comfortable for plugging, because they are lighter and do not absorb as much water. They actually are easier to walk in and can be just as warm if you layer sweat pants and under armor thermal pants, I also wear breathable dry pants under them in warmer weather to keep moisture away from my skin.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
here are my theories as someone who plugs 99% of the time. i will fish worms in the back during the early part of the spring season and then transition to clams out front in april and finally chunk bunker well into the july surf.
when it comes to bunker and the bigger fish on them, distance matters A LOT. getting on the tip of a jetty or getting on a bar to cast a pencil or snag hook is always important. we love the day we you can flip cast a snag or plug to busting fish but those are few and far between day. when it comes to bait fishing i bring a sand spike along to typically use for baiting or resting my rod while unhooking fish. i almost NEVER want to "hold". how many pieces of clam, worm, bunker, etc. are stuck attached to the sand out there? if 4oz is holding i will use 2 or 3 just so there is a slight movement in the bait that is natural. i almost always use fishfinder rigs and hold the rod with line held under finger. when a fish hits and runs you can let it go and engage the line roller (or bail for those with bailed reels) and setup on the fish.
just my 2 cents. good luck to everyone this year.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
To my Montgomery County BB buddies, set a date and I am there as well for a Spring run trip to fish the surf. It will proably be a dark o'clock run down and we would need to reserve a bushel of Clams for all of us. We can use 24/7 Bait and Tackle in Somers Point.GSBB
That sounds like a plan. I've been wanting to put a group together from the Montco area that likes to fish the surf (or fresh).

Anyone from the Montco area that is interested in taking a few road trips and sharing expenses and a few laughs (probably at my expense) this spring, send me your email and #.

Apexii, I aleady have yours if it hasn't changed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts