BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have been spending some much needed "creative time" at the vice. Have you ever noticed how a certain tier can influence your style. I knew that Jack Gartside is a topwater finatic, so I figured that I could freshen up a few old ideas. The conditions that I fish in is mostly calm, very shallow water. So shallow in fact, that a deceiver sometimes fouls on the grassy bottom.
I retooled this small muddler type of fly (on the right) in some of fishs favorite colors.

This picture resized really weird...The flys are not as chunky as they look in this picture.
The fly on the left has a slightly larger head, and a larger tail. The spun deer hair head should keep these flys from getting on the bottom before I can begin my retreive. It will also help them land softly in the water, so as to not spook the wary bass in skinny water.

I also like to use foam and corsair tubing together. The maribu tail seems to easily solve the problem of attatching a tail that looks and performs well.

I also like to tie some of these a bit longer in black with a long hackle tip tail. A perfect small eel immitator that will serve well as a slider.
Foam bodies are easy to tie with and can add a new dimension to your tying. But there is no substitute for the "old school" method of spinning deer hair.
Tying is a chance for me to blend creativity into a form that performs a function. The time is growing near. I feel some vacation time coming!

[ 03-29-2006, 06:33 PM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow. Those corsair flys are nice. What kind of foam do you use? Do you shape the foam yourself or is it pre-made.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
hmmm kind of like a muddler? neat?

also, just tied my first fly using mylar tubing and interested in your pattern. is that foam underneath the tubing?

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Frank, I like them. I am available for field testing. :))))

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
First fly looks sort of looks like a untrimed Toad Fly that they use in Florida. Should work and looks good. let us know how the work out.

On the second batch. I like the one in the middle best. I think the wider gap hook might work for more hook ups. Again let us know how they make out in action.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Live Body Foam in the Corsairs, yes? I've tied them and the seagulls love to go after them. Never caught any fish, though ;) .

·
Registered
481 Posts
Frank, these look great!! Is the tail tied to the hook? Seems it not, just to the tubing. Foam is rolled inserted and then the hook goes thru? I have never tried the tubing. How flexible is it when in the water?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Not rolled foam sheets, it's cylindrical foam. Corsair is fairly flexable, but there really isn't much inherent action with these types of flies. Pretty much a straight retrieve in, unless you add some weight or more drag to the tail and make them dog-walkable.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am glad you all like em...
I hope that I answer all of the questions. If I don't answer your question, please ask again.
First, here is the muddler style tie.
The muddler has a hackle tail. A collar of squirell tail, then a thin shorter collar of rabbit fur, followed by the spun deer hair head.
the second really is a snake fly head, with just trimmed maribu tail. I like to trim the maribu off of the stem and use it like short hair, as I did here...and it does kind of look like a toad, huh Ray?? Maribu used this wayy does not foul excessivley, and does not become water logged.

Now about the foam fly. The foam is Rainys medium float foam. It looks like a 24" long piece of foam string. I just cut it and tie it in. No shaping at all. First, I remove the string from the corsair tubing, Insert the hook through the tubing and put it in the vice. I then take a maribu plume and strip all plumage from the stem except the last 1" or so left at the tip. Start the thread at the hook eye. Insert the maribu stem and tie it down. Insert the foam through the tubing and tie it down at the eye. Trim and tie down the tubing at the front.
Start the thread at the rear of the fly, cinch down and whip finish. Trim the maribu as you like. Goop or epoxy covered eyes and you are good too go.
The hook in the center is a Gamakatsu SP11-3l3H
in size #1. The bend looks alont like a Partridge model perfect, but the wire is fine.

If it's action that you are looking for, I also tie one with slightly larger diameter foam. I glue a glass rattle to the rear of the foam. As the fly rests, the butt "sits down" and the head pops just out of the water. A slight strip and the head goeas under the the tail splashs up...
and oh, does it walk the dog!
The tubing is movable, bt it will not move as a ntural material will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts