BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the sponsor of the striped bass bill in the General Assembly, I need to emphasize the following: any amendments to the bill in the Senate will set us back to square one and almost certainly bring further hardship(i.e. forcing a moritorium or increasing the length of one).

My bill was crafted after notification and three public hearings from Fort Lee to Avalon. The vast majority of public speakers choose the option encompassed in the bill that passed the Assembly. The Speaker granted my request to hold a special hearing so that Natural Resources Committee, which I chair, could release it favorably to the full House before summer recess.

The Senate Environment Committee, however, was not scheduled to meet, and, therefore, the Senate version could not be posted for a floor vote. The Senate President would not waive the rules and "no reference" the bill, meaning it couldn't be voted on before summer recess.

Needless to say, the ASMFC was annoyed with New Jersey and voted us out of compliance, with 30 days for the Secretary of Commerce (Interior Dept.) to take action, which I understand to mean a nondiscretionary moritorium.

If, in fact, a moritorium is imposed, then any amendments can cost us another week or two or more of closure.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
RJSmith, welcome to the barn. Met you at the some of the fisheries meeting that you have attended. You efforts and dedication is appreciated. I know you did your best to help us stay in compliance. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
7,875 Posts
RJSmith, welcome to the barn. Met you at the some of the fisheries meeting that you have attended. You efforts and dedication is appreciated. I know you did your best to help us stay in compliance. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Welcome Mr.Smith fasten your seat belt I have a few questions for ya .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iam signing off tonight, but I'll answer any questions. Also, please let me know if you disagree with my assessment regarding Senate amendments.

********man Bob Smith

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
WELCOME TO THE BARN IT IS NICE TO SEE SOMEONE WHO WILL LISTEN TO US AND TRY TO HELP.THIS SUBJECT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE ECONOMY AND JOBS FOR NJ.A CLOSURE WILL SHOW THAT BUT TOO LATE. THANK YOU

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for the update. What amendments are you referring to?

Phil

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Bob, welcome back. We all appreciate your continued dedication and hard work but I gotta ask you to clean up your signature bro lol :D

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Mr. Smith welcome aboard and thanks for your efforts and support of the rec. fishing community.

I'm sure by 'Amendments' he means any changes to the bill that he originally proposed, which called for Option 4 (slot plus 34+). Let's get it pushed through and avoid a closure!

Still waiting to hear what will become of our "discontinued" trophy tag program in the event that option 4 goes through.

·
Registered
31,448 Posts
Mr Smith, thank you for all your efforts on our behalf. Your one of the few friends we have in NJ politics. Overall though past discussion most of this site supports the bill as it is on the floor now. We just want it passed

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I vote for scrapping the bill and going with the ASMFC recomendation of 2 over 28", like we should have from the beginning. Like most of the other states have done. The polls Ive seen conducted on here and other bulletin boards were close to equally split between 3 or so of the four options. There was no clear choice, which gave all the more reason to default back to 2 over 28". The majority is not winning by NJ trying to keep a slot fish. If it means shutting it down for the month of september to right the ship, so be it.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I might add that the majority of the Polls
that I ran showed that most fishermen wanted
some type of Slot Fish......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any amendments to which I refer would essentially contain language other than option #4. The bill I introduced was option #4. I hear that some within the rec fishing community continue to push for 2 at 28".

I understand and respect their argument, but I had to make a decision. I choose option #4 because the testimony at the three public hearings was about 70-75% in favor of option #4. Plus, more importantly, Fish and Wildlife said it was more conservation-minded.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
In the Fisherman I got today it was suggested that all states might have to go to one fish next year, Is this for real?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In response to Circle Hook, I don't believe the ASMFC recommended [email protected] 28". They offered 7 options that were conservationally eviqualent, and we were to select which option worked best for NJ fisherman. Intelligent, well-intended fisherman can (and should) differ. However, we shouldn't scrap and start over. Some of us love to fish and others fish for those they love, like charters. We can't afford to be cavalier, nor, in my opinion, to prolong a possible moritorium.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
RJSmith:

Bob, the fact that you have taken the time to come on the Barn, and discuss this issue with all of us is very impressive. All of us who love to fish, and enjoy our freedom have to respect and admire your efforts on our behalf. Looking forward to more of your informative posts, and your sharing of your knowledge with all the Barn.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
RJ,Smith
Bob, thanks for all your efforts and for posting this infor on the BB.

[ 08-26-2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Capt Lew ]

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Bob:

I do respect your coming on board and presenting your opinion. Very high class, for sure.

However, after doing my homework, and being on the water 2-3 days a week for the past 10+ years, I still disagree with the assembly bill. I feel that a fish with a range from Maine to NC needs some kind of continuity between states for management to be effective. How does a NJ angler killing a 24" fish that was released by a guy in NY, 1 month earlier, benefit the fish? And why should my 30" release, end up in a cooler somewhere in the Chesepeake Bay? Doesnt make sense to me. What it does is kill more fish over a broader age range, which IMO, is not more conservative than 2 over 28".

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Assemblyman Smith:

Thank you for taking the time to address the members of the Bass Barn. I hope the bill gets passed in time to save the fall Striper season .

Dave Isanski

1 - 20 of 35 Posts