BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made a stencil that i want to paint on the bottom of my rig. is anti fouling bottom paint my only choice? I would like the color to be like yellow or gold or any other bright color, i only need like a quart, I guess what im asking is, there any way to get around spending $250.00 for a gallon of vivid

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
i made a stencil that i want to paint on the bottom of my rig. is anti fouling bottom paint my only choice? I would like the color to be like yellow or gold or any other bright color, i only need like a quart, I guess what im asking is, there any way to get around spending $250.00 for a gallon of vivid
We have used white that came in a spray can

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Petit in a spray can works good. They also sell it in a spray can by Aquaguard. I used some new Micron ultra and no grass but the squid just bubbled up and pealed after painting I guess Micron Ultra has to mutch Teflon in it.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
That idea of painting or sticking fish/squid decals on the bottom of boats came up 10-15yrs ago. It never worked or helped getting fish to the boat.. The idea came and went just as fast... Don't waste your time... You are better off putting the money into good trolling lures to get good spread behind your boat.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That idea of painting or sticking fish/squid decals on the bottom of boats came up 10-15yrs ago. It never worked or helped getting fish to the boat.. The idea came and went just as fast... Don't waste your time... You are better off putting the money into good trolling lures to get good spread behind your boat.
Dunk ------ thats what I thought. I remember the crazy back then well. The best one I remember was blue bottom paint to replicate the sky and bright pink squid...I even seen stencils on the sides right below the water line ...LOL .Never heard of anyone having the tuna charging towards the boat or lures cause of the bottom stencils.:huh::huh::huh::huh:

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
How do You know it doesn't work??:wave:
The years we had it on the old boat we did very well!!
I don't know if it had anything to do with the Squid stencils but it can't hurt;)

I think it was the Petit paint we used
It lasted the whole season:thumbsup:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Teez --- I don't know if it works or not. Like Dunk wrote it was very popular back 15 - 20 years ago. But I haven't really seen to many people doing it lately.

I don't know how big your boat is but why would you need an entire gallon of vivid. I was just at West Marine in Brick NJ yesterday buying Interlux barrier and ablative for my boat and seen that they had Vivid colors by the quart for $65 dollars.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feed back, i will try the petit in a can. Its not very expensive so i figured there is no harm in trying it to Im not expecting fish to flock my boat but its worth a shot. , alot of good captains still paint it on there boats. And no i dont need a gallon, the west marine in marlton said that they can only get yellow by the gallon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My thought is that its much like a dog looking at the tv. they just figure its part of the object not a seperate object. It might help if your hull was blue or grey or some other color of the sky, but on the whole i think they just see some food behind one of those noisy things.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
I think it works. Just my opinion.

I'm not saying its the end all be all.

2 years ago we did it and a few times out we were the only boat to land a few yellowfin on a few specific days.

Maybe luck - who knows, but I say it cant hurt.

Who cares if people did it 15 years ago - lots of techniques were used in the past and find a way back.

I still see plenty of boats that do it. I know of a handful at BZL, besides me, that do it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back, i will try the petit in a can. Its not very expensive so i figured there is no harm in trying it to Im not expecting fish to flock my boat but its worth a shot. , alot of good captains still paint it on there boats. And no i dont need a gallon, the west marine in marlton said that they can only get yellow by the gallon.
Good deal Teez --- Go for it.......:thumbsup:

Since I am in the process of redoing mine --- I think I'll get a Mermaid stencil.. I always wanted one of them...... Only kidding --- goodluck...:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.