BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sunny day and 4 days to the full moon I got the first shot of HERRING. I have live and fresh for tomorrow and hopefully now thru the next couple months.

They look to be the big alewives but it was a good showing. **Edited Out Exact Location**

[ 03-13-2006, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Ron Redington ]

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alewives and Bluebacks are both River HERRING. Even the biologists will tell you that they are almost impossible to tell apart, but supposedly the Alewives run earlier and it has been my experience that the very first run has a lot of larger fish in it.

I believe a lot of these fish are older fish at the end of their lifespan because you will find a lot of them dead and dying in the tide ponds where they were spawning. Because of this they are not always the best ones to try and keep alive for a long period.

But they are great bait , if the bass are biting, Hopefully the conditions are comming together for the bass and the HERRING to get here together.

Individual price will be $3.00 each for the live HERRING. Fresh are 3 for $5.

The next two days will tell how much volume I get and if you want to get some fresh HERRING for freezing or get some numbers of live fish at a reasonable price give me a call at 609-484-0409.

Last year I never did get an extreme amount, but with this early warm weather I am cautiously optomistic that there will be a good amount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As Guatemala Dave said they are of the same herring family and are very hard to tell apart. Both species share much of the same area but the blueback herring range further south and the alwivfe herring range further north. The only way the average person can tell them apart is to cut them open.

Warren

·
Registered
408 Posts
Actually they are easy to tell apart by the stomach lining, however, you have to kill the fish to determine the species. Bluebacks have a dark stomach lining while the alewives is pale. When the water is this cold I can almost guarantee the herring are all alewives since they like to spawn when the water temps are in the 50s to 60 degrees. Bluebacks spawn later in the season when the water temps are a little warmer.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Get some , the alweives pickle the best of the two but if your asking what comes in the jars at the store that woud be ocean herring .
I don't mean sea herring either.

[ 03-12-2006, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: In Depth ]

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
went to 11th ave. saw 2 guys trying to get some but to no avail. there was 5 hanging along the bank but couldn't catch them. Went to a few other spots but didn't see any. Of course it was low tide so this will tend to hold them back some.

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are flowing through Mays Landing hard!! Every creek or vein are filled with them. You just have to fight for shoulder room to catch them now.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
hey there smitty.... about that fighting for shoulder room thing in Mays Landing... I swung by there today to take a look cause I needed to make a pitstop at Walmart... had to fight shoulder to shoulder with one other guy.. we both left to get a beer after a couple minutes of BS..

[ 03-14-2006, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: fmTuna ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts