BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Someone tell me the difference between St Croix Premier Surf & the Mojo Surf besides about 20 buck for the 10 foot versions.

GSBB

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I think the only differences are the guides and the grips. I haven't used the mojo, but I wouldn't trade my 10' premier for anything.
I have not used the mojo either, but I have an 8' premier, and do not like it a bit. I feel it does a less that stellar job of setting the hook. Just my opinion, guess it depends on who you talk to.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
go with the mojo:thumbsup:. If I may suggest the 10'6 mojo 3/4 to 4oz. I've played around with it and it will cast a bomber a mile and will also cast a 3oz pencil a mile to. nice feel to the rod with a bomber and a nice pencil action with the pencil. plus its light as h#LL. ANd also what reel will you be useing?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
go with the mojo:thumbsup:. If I may suggest the 10'6 mojo 3/4 to 4oz. I've played around with it and it will cast a bomber a mile and will also cast a 3oz pencil a mile to. nice feel to the rod with a bomber and a nice pencil action with the pencil. plus its light as h#LL. ANd also what reel will you be useing?
I had a 10 ft 1-4 in my hand tonight. Didn't see a 10'6 on the rack. I was thinking about putting a Bailess Penn 704Z on it. Of Course the owner of th shop I was at put a 10 ft Custom Lami in my hands after I told him wanted to toss Pencils this Spring with the rod I bought. WOW. Just don't have the $320.00 for that one. Need to sell some more plugs to get that one. :mad:

GSBB

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had a 10 ft 1-4 in my hand tonight. Didn't see a 10'6 on the rack. I was thinking about putting a Bailess Penn 704Z on it. Of Course the owner of th shop I was at put a 10 ft Custom Lami in my hands after I told him wanted to toss Pencils this Spring with the rod I bought. WOW. Just don't have the $320.00 for that one. Need to sell some more plugs to get that one. :mad:

GSBB
Those customs are nice;) I'm always grabbing those 1201 L and 1201 M when I'm there. Just don't want the hassle of a 1 piece.
Think I bought the last 10'6" Mojo :razz: Sorry:)
Left my 10'6" Legend for him to sell. Just prefer the more moderate blank on the Mojo.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those customs are nice;) I'm always grabbing those 1201 L and 1201 M when I'm there. Just don't want the hassle of a 1 piece.
Think I bought the last 10'6" Mojo :razz: Sorry:)
Left my 10'6" Legend for him to sell. Just prefer the more moderate blank on the Mojo.

If I want one I am sure he can get it for me. Do you think the 10'6 is really needed. What are your plans for the rod, Pencil's, larger plugs and bucktails? Or is it more the diversirty and the abilty to still throw a Bomber and those other lures?

GSBB

·
Registered
108 Posts
If I want one I am sure he can get it for me. Do you think the 10'6 is really needed. What are your plans for the rod, Pencil's, larger plugs and bucktails? Or is it more the diversirty and the abilty to still throw a Bomber and those other lures?

GSBB
I would say it's the diversity:) Most of my fishing is walk on and having a rod that can do it all is great. I've fished a 9' airwave, 9' Tica, 9' Arra 1083, 9' Legend, 10'6" Legend and a glass 11' Lami ( pencil rod )..and plenty others :eek:
The 10'6" Legend and Mojo are pretty unique in there ability to throw a wide range of weights and do it well.
The Mojo has a slight advantage on the low end and it's more moderate action appeals to me for a couple reasons.
1. working a pencil is easier 2. Better with light plugs ( bomber redfin )
3. Softer moderate action should help keep fish on when fishing smaller plugs. ( won't pull small hooks )

The Legend may be a better choice for 3oz and up but for
1 to 3oz I like the Mojo.
When it comes to the legend and Mojo 9 footers I'm not as impressed. For me they are more of a Jetty/inlet rod
for fishing bucktails/shads in current. I don't like either for off the beach. They are just too stiff. The Mojo is a little more moderate that the Legend.

I'll sum it up for ya. I own both the 10'6" rods and the 9' Legend.
The 9 footers feel like St Croix just cut 18 inches off the 10'6' rods :eek::eek:
That 18 inches is what makes those 10'6" rods so good:)
That 18 inches is why they throw better on the low end and why they can fish a pencil :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for confirming what I thought on the diversty. Just concerned about how cumbersome a 10'6 rod would be.

I was hoping he had both in the shop to compare but he didn't. I can ask him when he would expect more and see what happens.

GSBB

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for confirming what I thought on the diversty. Just concerned about how cumbersome a 10'6 rod would be.

I was hoping he had both in the shop to compare but he didn't. I can ask him when he would expect more and see what happens.

GSBB
I doubt you will find the 10'6 anymore cumbersome than the 10'. The weight is almost identical. The 10' is rated 1-4 and the 10'6 3/4-4.
I've played with both side by side and the 10'6 actually seemed like the lighter smaller diameter blank in hand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.