BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out Christmas shopping last weekend I was in a store that had the Premier series marked down to $70.00. I was looking at a 7 footer for use in the back water. The Q? Does anyone here use this model? I know some of you use the tidemaster series. Should I take advantage of what seems to be a good deal, or put the extra $$ out, and get a tidemaster model. You know: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It's not too good to be true. The normal retail price on that rod is $90, and right now it's on sale for $70 everywhere, not just that store. A buddy of mine has a 6.5' Premier that he uses for freshwater and he loves it. It's a great rod for the price. Go for it :D

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Premier are, well Premier. They retail for double what Tidemasters cost.

A 7 ft Tidemasters should be in the 100 range while a 7 ft Premier will un in the 200 range.

70 bucks - if it was a Premier, not a Tidewater, is a steal - go back and get it!!!!

I have a Premier 6'6" Heavy - very nice rod and she is a lucky rod for me.

One of the few stock rods I have that I dont want to strip everything off and rebuild.

I've caught three 30lb bass on her and Jimmy caught a 36 lber on her when I was pissin and getting spiked coffee during the fall no bones 2004. I use it for tog as well. Its powerful!

Premiers have SCII graphites, a woven graphite, and SCII fiberglass.

Tidemasters are the SCII blanks - which I love for the inshore stuff. I have three of these blanks to buid when I get the time.

·
Registered
908 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
After breaking the tip off my tidemaster in the summer, I went to DICK's and bought a new one. They offered me 1 year insurance for $8.99. I was hesitant but I took it anyway, well while fighting a striper in the fall, the blank came lose in the handle. I called the 800 # and explained the problem and they mailed me a gift card for the $84.99 purchase price. Bought super glue and repaired my rod... so for $8.99 I ended up with 2 tidemasters !!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had the 7' for about three years, and it is my favorite rod. I use it in the back bay all the time, and also in my kayak.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lonewolf has my old 7' Premier - back when they were a burgandy-ish color around 9 years ago. I replaced it with a Loomis Saltwater Series 16 lb class rod and didn't notice a big difference. I still have a 6' 6" Legend that's about 12 years old. I use it for blues & weaks in the bay. I use two Ben Doerr surf rods as well and wouldn't trade them for any rod out there. St. Croix is possibly the best rod for the money.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
THE PREMIER SERIES WILL BE MADE IN CHINA FOR THE 2006 YEAR AND WILL START AT $60.00.THE WARRENTY WILL BE FOR 5 YEARS SO ALOT OF PLACES ARE CLOSING OUT WHAT THEY HAVE LEFT AND THEY ARE GOING FOR 70-50 DEPENDING WHERE YOU BUY.ALSO I BELIEVE THE HANDLES WILL BE MADE A LITTLE DIFFERENT AS WELL.

[ 12-25-2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: REELKNOT ]

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
TRIUMPH RODS ARE THE NEW NAME FOR THE PREMIER-THEY ARE A LITTLE LIGHTER THAN BEFORE-I BELIEVE IN THE SPINNING SERIES IT ONLY GOES TO A MEDIUM AND THE CASTING TO A MED-HEAVY BUT THE PRICE IS CHEAPER AND THE WARRENTY BETTER-JUST MADE OVER SEAS.

[ 12-25-2005, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: REELKNOT ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Ive had around 40 premier rods over the past ten years and currently use like 10 in the salt. I have broken ONE in 10 years that was not my fault. They are excellent rods. 70 bucks isnt that great a deal. Cheaper than retail if thats what you are looking for. I have used mine from trout..to largemouth...to stripers...flounder etc. Good Luck with whatever you choose. Ive caught thousands of fish on these rods so Im not blowin' smoke up your wazzoo ;)

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I AGREE WITH YA-I OWN NOTHING BUT ST CROIX AND LOVE THEM-I USE MINE FOR EVERYTHING-I HAVE ULTRA LIGHT 5 FT-ERS TO 7 FT X-HEAVY FOR TOG AND STRIPERS. GREAT RODS

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts