BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to invest in a lower-end St. Croix spinning rod and am deciding between the Triumph series and the Premier series. Triumph is a bit less expensive. I am shopping for a 7' 2-piece med/fast rod. Does anyone have an opinion on this? also, any opinions for a reel? I will fish for bass, pickerel, walleye and occasionally pike. Thanks Barners.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rich,you said you were investing in a lower end spinning rod.Before I could help with an opinion on a reel what price range are ya thinkin of?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've used both series in salt and honestly have no complaints about either. My gut says go with Premier, but that's truly for no other reason than it's "a little higher-end." But I know several others who love the Triumph and I believe the St. Croix warranty stands on those as well.

I'd say as far as low-cost rods go, Triumph are one of the best. Not sure if that's helpful.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You Barners are great. I prefer to spend under $100 for the St. Croix rod and under $100 for the reel. Maybe some day, I'll get a dream setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have avids, premiers and truimphs. I like all of them. If I had $200 I would get the truimph and put the extra money toward a better reel. The difference between the premier and truimph does not make up for the $30-40 dollar price difference. Now avids on the other hand, thats a different story.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Triumph is imported and the Premier is made in the USA. They both use the same scII blanks with the premier getting the better guides. Both have a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with Barnyard I must about 25 St Croix from Avids on down brinkmans is having a sale on St.croix premiers right now.. Give them a call might have what your looking for 215 632 0674

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The replies have been educational for me - as usual. Thanks. I do prefer to buy USA and am now searching for a 2pc. med/fast 7' premier. I went to 3 Dick's stores w/o success. I will research Brinkman's as suggested by Bluefish. Does anyone have one that they might like to sell? Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey PTR where was your reel made?Bet it wasn't in the U.S.I am proud to be a patron to but I buy whatever is quality not where it was made.But to the guys that wanna do the "buy American" rant,do me a favor.Through out all your nice tv's.I challenge anyone to find a nice 42" plasma made in America.;)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
hawg-catcher said:
Hey PTR where was your reel made?Bet it wasn't in the U.S.I am proud to be a patron to but I buy whatever is quality not where it was made.But to the guys that wanna do the "buy American" rant,do me a favor.Through out all your nice tv's.I challenge anyone to find a nice 42" plasma made in America.;)

quantum and shimanos neither made in the U.S. all of my rods were made in the US though. i agree with what your saying buy quality and not where it was made but the premeir is a better rod and it is made in the US, so id go with that. it just bothers me how everything is imported, not a nafta fan.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do understand what ya mean bro.For instance two of my rods are Allstar rods.I bought them both years ago when they were made here in the U.S Texas to be exact.However most people know that Allstar sold out to Shakespear and is now made in China.The rod that I paid $150 dollars for now goes for about $60 and is a piece of crap.Some things are good American made items and some are poorly made.I'll buy were quality is over patronage any day.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Whenever I can, I try to buy USA. It is not always possible or sensible. If two products are similar in quality and price (or even close), I try to buy USA. I don't go nutty about it, but do prefer to buy local products. I even try to buy NJ produce over "outside" produce when I can.

·
Registered
568 Posts
FYI - If you saw one a Dicks that you liked, they're having a sale on St. Croix this week.
Otherwise one of the largest selections of Premiers and Triumphs I'm aware of is at Sport Fisherman's Outlet on Germantown Ave. in Norristown. I think Harry has half a dozen Premier models at 20% off.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Bluefish024 said:
I agree with Barnyard I must about 25 St Croix from Avids on down brinkmans is having a sale on St.croix premiers right now.. Give them a call might have what your looking for 215 632 0674
I was eyeballing a few St Croix's last night. Since Fenwick no longer makes the Saltstik, I may need to switch over to the dark side. Billy and Bruce have some good deals on those sticks right now, along with the Tidemaster as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just picked up a 6'6" Premier to go with a stradic FI series 2500 and they go together like peas and carrots! I got mine at Brinkmans on Linden Ave,they usually have a large selection of St Croix:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts