BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We tried the rips and the backwater with Bbunker and Striper13.

When we arrived to the rips it was a couple of hours before high tide and had a water temp of 41.2, which is still a little too cold for the fish to really bite.

Between the four of us we did have 4 solid hits but no hookups. I think it was because of the new moon, it seemed like we were drifting too fast, and with the colder water temps the fish are too lathargic to really chase the bucktail moving this fast in the tide. (especially because this early in the season, you don't really even retreive your lure, and if you do it is very slooooow.)

As the tide came up the water got even colder, so we left the rips at slack tide.

We decided to anchor up in the backwater with clams, at the top of the tide the water was 41 back there too, and as the tide dropped the temp came up to a little more than 42 but still nothing back there today.

It was sunny, and we did have a lot of fun we even saw about 5 seals swimming around in the backwater.

The good news is the forcast is looking a lot warmer starting tomorrow. We will have some sun, and some warmer air temps, this will definately get the water to the temp we need, and I think we will have our first bass of the spring season by the weekend, but probably tomorrow or the next day!! We are going back out tomorrow morning, so I will update when we get back.

Check out the seals if you can see them!

[ 03-23-2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Stalker Charters ]

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Had a similar experience last night. The Herring were there that must explain the seals but no bass. The herring were small, the bass must be on the biggies, or up the river. Good luck

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Keep those reports coming, I sure wish I was out there!

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
And if you will , some wisdom please, while I have you. Some hardtimers told me the small herring come first, then the big ones with the bass on their tails, have you seen that??? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Bass:
And if you will , some wisdom please, while I have you. Some hardtimers told me the small herring come first, then the big ones with the bass on their tails, have you seen that??? thanks in advance.
Herring Schools....smaller male bass....then females. Thats if we are talking the major run. There are always exceptions as some bass winter over in our estruaries. This is my experience over the last 4 or 5 years and i start fishing way early.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts