BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to buy 4 stand up rods,im lookin for rods that are 5'6",and i dont have a lot of money to spend,i have about $150.00 a rod.Open for any and all suggestions,what works for everyone.I fished with 4 vintage fenwicks last year that my father gave me that are great, just too tall.Oh yea,my name is John and im new on here.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
John,
welcome to the Barn. You will find a lot of great info here. As for your post, what class rods are you looking for? 30, 50 etc. Which reels will be mounted on them? Do you have outboard engines?
For rods up to 30 class you can find plenty of good rods in your price range. For 50 and above the opposite is true.
30 lb rods can be built using straight through assemblies, ceramic gudes and last for many years.
With 50 lb. and larger straight through will eventually come back to haunt you. You can get good 50's for around $200-250 per unit. A 2 pc aluminum butt is the best handle, and with knurled glue fittings, are likely to last a lifetime. If you see someone using a "slick butt" here it is only an economy look alike that will likely fail on short notice. Email if you would like and I can explain further. I have a shop in Point Pleasanrt Beach N.J.
There are a couple of other rod buiders on the site, and sponsors with factory tackle. Check with a few and compare notes. Not only are you spending a lot of money here, but you want to be sure that the rods last for 10-20 years without troubles. You dont want to do this twice.
:thumbsup:Good luck! :thumbsup:
Kevin Bogan

·
Registered
109 Posts
If your old rods are the quality Fenwick blanks with Aftco rollers, you can make them shorter. I've cut the foregrips off, removed the butt grommet, cut the length down and either reinstall grommet or glue directly into the unibut. You will need a new grip and some labor, but it is the inexpensive way to go.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using penn 50S and probably going to put a thin 60 on them.I have inboard engines also.Maybe i can find something used,lol.All my upgrades this year cost me a bunch and my pocket starting to hurt.Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

If your old rods are the quality Fenwick blanks with Aftco rollers, you can make them shorter. I've cut the foregrips off, removed the butt grommet, cut the length down and either reinstall grommet or glue directly into the unibut. You will need a new grip and some labor, but it is the inexpensive way to go.

Yes,I have these rods but i have the 30 class,thats sounds like a great idea.If they were 50 class i would have considered that,thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.