BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my mind up to purcahse hand held for this season as a back up. Looking @ the 6 watt HX750S when I see the HX850S also 6 watt but has built in GPS and DSC. HAs anyone heard anything about the HX850S? Not sure how the DSC would work with limited range of hand held.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I do not know if i would recommend using a handhelp for backup..

i would say just buy another vhf...

If you worried about safety get yourself a nice ebird of something like that because handhelds will not get to much reception offshore unless your right up on someone which is normally not the case!

I got three vhfs on my boat all wired differently...

I got one direct to its own seperate battery and the other to the main switch board... The alternte doesnt go on except for if necessary which so far has never been!!

Thanks to mother nature!!

But just look for a decent one for a cheaper price and put a new one on i recommend with its own power source in case everything goes out!

Oh and get a large antenna for it!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Don't have any experence with the unit but it could come in handy. If your boat goes down and your sitting in a raft miles offshore. Even with the EPIRB on it sure would stink to see a boat on the horizon and not be able to communicate with them because your backup VHF is on the bottom of the ocean:eek: and not in the raft with you.;) With the GPS feature you would be able to give them you exact location.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Good point thats why i have one attached to my epirb in a watertight compartment!!! lol

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
AIS24 said:
Don't have any experence with the unit but it could come in handy. If your boat goes down and your sitting in a raft miles offshore. Even with the EPIRB on it sure would stink to see a boat on the horizon and not be able to communicate with them because your backup VHF is on the bottom of the ocean:eek: and not in the raft with you.;) With the GPS feature you would be able to give them you exact location.
Thats actually a great idea. Never thought of that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts