BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a GREAT company Star Rods ( Sea Striker ) is for replacing my rod. :thumbsup: I got a response to my e-mail this morning and they sent me their procedure for replacing my rod. I could not be more happy.:D If you have not checked out Star Rods I suggest you do! Their Aerial series Surf Rods are great for tossing bait and the price is unbeatable( I have the 11'0" foot ). I also have the Stellar Lite 9 ft Surf Rod, this is the one I am getting replaced, Limited Lifetime Warranty. I personally think this company is better than the Tica at this point and cheaper. Can't ask for more from a company, they stand behind their product, even when it's not their fault.:eek:

This is a good rod company to consider if you are not made of money but still want good quality equipment. They can be looked at in person at that great Tackle Shop in East Norriton, PA. :)

GSBB

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I'm looking to get a new plugging rod. Do you think the Star Stellar would be a good fit. Also I have gift certificates for Bass Pro Shop. Do they sell star rods?
i have the 9 foot stellar lite. i know im not the only one on here that rants and raves about that rod. go to any rod thread, and youll probably see me, DJ COast and others talking positive on that rod.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is it the best plugging rod on the market, no. It is how ever a real nice rod for the money with an incredible warranty. There maybe not many in its price range than can beat it. I also found it does nice double duty as a Fluke and Kingfish rod with lighter weight. I am not sure where the blanks are made but it is an American company. :thumbsup:

GSBB

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
ive cought bass to 33" on it, albies in the yak, blues to 14 pounds in the surf and the occaisonal small flat fish by catch fall striper fishing. handled them all great. and casts 2 oz REAL well. its rated 1-4....4 oz is almost kinda pushing it. id say 2-3 is best.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Fished the 10' model for two seasons sold it to a friend he loves it picked up a 9'er last year for him for christmas both rods are awsome. Got the 10 at sportsmans center 9'er at timber creek in westville N.J.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Because of their customer service I will always support Star rods. Its just phenominal. I told ya Sean.

To answer SW79's question, I really would not recommend or say that the 9footer is a good pluggin rod. I used it as a light bait stick when only a 2-3oz sattelite was needed, or for bait in the backbays. I absolutely loved the rod for throwing clam and a 2 oz weight in the light CM surf. It handled a 42 incher well too. But for some reason I'm not sure why they rate their rods the way they do. For example the 9fter is rated 1-4oz's and in no way would I ever throw 3 or 4oz plugs with it, it just don't feel right. Another example is I have their 7ft Stellar Lite that I use in the backbays, and here for salmon. I love the rod, but its rated 1/8-2oz's. And in no way would I throw 1oz's with it, let along 2oz's. Its more like 1/8-7/8 at the most. Not sure why they rate em like that.

For a light bait stick I would recommend the 9 footer (paired perfectly with a Shimano BR 3500), its also i good eeling stick off the rocks. And for heavier situations the 10ft Stellar (paired perfectly with a Shimano BR 4500). All in all the 10 footer would prolly be the ideal bait rod in the surf. There were too many times I had to leave the 9 at home, or I was stuck with it when the bass were further out. I was dying one time, the whole beach was catching, cept for me. The 9 really doesn't cast well at all, my good friend Junkman saw my frustrations and lent me a longer Daiwa surf rod that casts like a slingshot, on the first cast I was into bass that day. the 9 let me down. Light tackle only with that rod, trust me.

I would stick to a Lami in the same price range for plugging. I never was comfortable plugging with my 9footer. The handle seems too long for what the rod is, so I cut 4" off it and put a Mitchell nautil on it. Its a decent backup pluggin rod for me and thats it. It will never make the primary lineup.

But like I said, you can literally run over your rod with your car. Call Star and personally tell them that. And they will say "send it on in, we'll replace it at no cost. I only had to pay for shipping one way, they shipped me back a brand new rod for free. For that they are the shiat and I will never forget it...djc.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I got the confirmation e-mail that they are going to replace my Stellar Lite 9 footer for FREE and will NOT be charging me for the shipping. AGAIN WHAT A GREAT COMPANY!!!!!!!! Give this company a shot ( Star Rod's - Sea Striker, Inc ), especially if you are in the market for a rod with a Lifetime Warranty:thumbsup::thumbsup:

GSBB

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Well I got the confirmation e-mail that they are going to replace my Stellar Lite 9 footer for FREE and will NOT be charging me for the shipping. AGAIN WHAT A GREAT COMPANY!!!!!!!! Give this company a shot ( Star Rod's - Sea Striker, Inc ), especially if you are in the market for a rod with a Lifetime Warranty:thumbsup::thumbsup:

GSBB
Thats great bro. Its the best customer service I've ever experienced and I've heard many similar stories all over the net. They replace it no questions asked and they even ship the new rod to you for free, ya simply can't beat it.

And for those who don't know, even though they are owned by Sea Striker, its like comparing a Chevy with a Cadilac. Stars are the Cadilacs...lol...djc.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys got me sold. I will be purchasing a couple Star rods coming up soon. They're USA made right?

Like I mentioned before, the company is America owned, not sure where they have the blanks made for their rods. The way I look at it most if not all blanks these days are made over seas and I out of 2 ain't bad. I will e-mail you a location you can see a bunch of Star rods and can compare them to most competitors.

GSBB

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm in the market for a 9' plugging stick and am considering the Star Stellar lite 9', the TICA UEHA 9' or the Tsunami Trophy 9'. In researching, the Star comes in 2 different 9' models: (a) 9' MH 12-30lb 1-4 15.5" Butt and (b) 9' M 10-25lb 1-4 20" Butt. What model are most people using? It sounds like DJ Coast is using the Medium action rod due to the fact that he cut length off the butt end. Has anyone used the MH model and is it a good plugging rod? The MH looks like it can handle a bit more weight.

The UEHA is similar with 2 different 9' models: one is rated 3/4oz-3oz and the other is rated 2-6oz. Quite a difference. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
i have the M and love it. love it so much i bought an inshore stellar lite 7' for yak, boat and bays..and a 10' stellar surf for spring time/NE'ers. the 10' got its workout tonight with blues to ~12 pounds. threw an a47 into the wind like a champ.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let me first tell you I think if you are going Tsunami and you are plugging, the Airwave is the one you want to be looking at not their Trophy. The Trophy is a good bait stick. I have an Airwave for plugging and love it. The Star Stellar Lite can be used for plugging, it is not bad, I like it because it can be dual purpose, plugs, tins & light bait fishing. Used it for Kingfish and Fluke in the surf.

GSBB

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bagger, do you have the M or MH Star? Would you recommend the Airwave over the Star? One last question, what size spinning reel (Salina, Sargus) would mate to the 9' rod. I plan on purchasing a new 10' and was wondering if going up a size in reel would hurt the performance of the 9'.

Thanks for all your help. I've always used Ugly Sticks (bait), but they don't cast plugs very well.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would go with the Airwave for strictly plugging. If you want a rod that can do both light bait and toss plugs get the M 9 foot Star Stellar Lite. I think it can pull double duty, it worked well for me last year. I would bring a plug bag and had it filled with King fish rigs and weights and light plugs. It will get the job done. It just is heavier than the Airwave.

I think you can go with a size 30 to a 40 spinning reel on Star rod in my opinion. I currently have a Diawa BG 30 on mine now and I have used a Diawa Advantage ( Older Model not the new Silver A series) which I thing is a 4500. If you have a good reel with a decent drag the smaller size 30 will be fine. I have a Cabo 40 on my 9ft Airwave, sweet set up, would be better if the reel was lighter.

Good Luck

GSBB

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I use all Ugly Stik and Penn reels. Walmart will replace any Ugly Stik and Penn will fix their reels. Thats all I know.
Star Rods Life Time Warranty on Stellar Lite rods.

GSBB

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.