BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of people make their own rigs. I have been making my favorites for years. Over the past three months I have tied about a thousand for the shop. Last night I tried a new one and it looks like a winner.

Many who throw bucktails like a teaser a few feet above the bucktail. Gives two targets plus it looks like the bucktail that is larger is giving chase to a small baitfish. About a week ago somebody stopped in and talked about a rig they saw on TV that a guy was using. Tried it last night and it came out real nice.

Take two pieces of leader material and join with a uni to uni knot or bloodknot. You end up with two tag ends that would normally be trimmed off. Only trim one off. The tag end that is left can be used as a short leader for the teaser. Then tie the bucktail to the end of the long leader. I know my discription isn't the best but it's hard to explain. If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about just stop by or give me a call and I can do a better job on the phone.

The blood knot is the best for this rig for one simple reason. The tag end sticks out from the knot at a 90 degree angle and keeps the teaser from tangling around your main leader. Believe me this is one sweet setup. I can see it doing great things for back bay flounder and weakie trips this spring. And someone tell the stripers to watch out for it also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Fred; just tied it myself! GREAT IDEA!!!!! Thats the only way to learn it!

[ 03-01-2006, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: junkmansj ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
whats the difference between tieing a dropper loop and clipping one end of the loop off really close to the know?? just a little bit cleaner but same deal?

will try and stop by the shop over my spring break and talk fluke rigs. fred, are you in the shop most afternoons?

RyanF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts
Originally posted by wildwoodblockhead:
Fred,I think that the guy who told you about that should get a royalty deal.Maybe a couple slices of Mack's.
Yeah right he still has his lunch money from the first grade. GOOD LUCK .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
Originally posted by RyanF:
whats the difference between tieing a dropper loop and clipping one end of the loop off really close to the know?? just a little bit cleaner but same deal?

will try and stop by the shop over my spring break and talk fluke rigs. fred, are you in the shop most afternoons?

RyanF
If you put enough stress on that broken dropper & it fails you lose the fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I use the dropper loop when I make my sabiki rigs. Then I'm only going for baitfish. Wouldn't want to try it on a big fish. May hold up and may not.

You can do the dropper and not cut the line. Just pass the loop through the eye. I tried this but I don't like the way the hook hangs off the loop.

Don't worry aimless. Fishpecker don't bother me no more. If he does I got some good stuff on him to write about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
I also dont really like passing the loop through the eye. Never seems to cinch down in a nice way. I have cut the loop before and landed some fish. No largies though. I got the idea right though? I might tie up some rigs over spring break.

Thanks

RyanF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,323 Posts
Fred & Co.,

Those teaser rigs are standard equipment on the surf fishing scene, but they're becoming more popular for other applications, too. Fantastic for bucktailing and jigging. We featured these rigs on our Cape May Rips show recently and really slammed the fish with 'em. Just be sure to keep the teaser very small. Most commercially tied rigs use teasers that are too large. Large sells better, but it's the tiny profile the fish want.

The 6-inch Delong "tiny eel" is what we used as a teaser on the TV show and the bass ate it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,622 Posts
My 2 cents: I tie my own rigs, and have used the pass-through dropper loop method on top-and-bottom rigs for a while. I've never lost a fish because of failure in the dropper loop. If you tie it properly, it will not fail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by Fishpicker:
Originally posted by wildwoodblockhead:
Fred,I think that the guy who told you about that should get a royalty deal.Maybe a couple slices of Mack's.
Yeah right he still has his lunch money from the first grade. GOOD LUCK .
[/QUOT

MARTY-LAST TIME I TALKED TO FU HE WAS MOANING CASE HE HAD TO DIG UP HIS CONFIRMATION COFFEE CAN OF MONEY OUT OF THE BACK YARD TO TAKE OLD LADY CRABS TO DINNER.A LOT OF SILVER MONEY AND CERTIFICATES.(CLOSE)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by NJAngler Bill:
Fred & Co.,

Those teaser rigs are standard equipment on the surf fishing scene, but they're becoming more popular for other applications, too. Fantastic for bucktailing and jigging. We featured these rigs on our Cape May Rips show recently and really slammed the fish with 'em. Just be sure to keep the teaser very small. Most commercially tied rigs use teasers that are too large. Large sells better, but it's the tiny profile the fish want.

The 6-inch Delong "tiny eel" is what we used as a teaser on the TV show and the bass ate it up.
Hi Bill. I've seen these rigs tied many ways but not like this. Do you use the uni to uni or the blood knot. I can see where the blood is better. Was also wondering if you ever cut the line so the teaser is facing front where it would give the teaser much more action. Just don't know if any knot will work well with the fish pulling down against the knot. I have a few knot books but none really do much in this area.

Also makes it a little more difficult but I tried snelling the teaser first and it still works. I've been using real small squids over the hook and you can slide these on over a snelled hook at the end. I just use a large sewing needle to pass the leader through. Makes a small hole and you can hit dead center on the squid so it doesn't try to spin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,323 Posts
Fred, of the two knots, the blood is better because it forces the teaser to stand out away from the main line a bit.

Having said that, I like to tie the rig differently. I slip a small black barrel swivel over the leader then tie a small dropper loop so that the swivel is inside the loop. The swivel will be the top of the rig, and the tag ends of the dropper will be for the teaser and main lure respectively. This may look a bit clumsy, but it fishes best because the teaser stands out away from the rig and minimizes tangles.

Then again, everybody has their own way, and I'm very interested in what you find works best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,273 Posts
Originally posted by Belmo:
My 2 cents: I tie my own rigs, and have used the pass-through dropper loop method on top-and-bottom rigs for a while. I've never lost a fish because of failure in the dropper loop. If you tie it properly, it will not fail.
Same here Belmo - I use 30 lb fluro - never had a failure.

I am gonna try the blood knot though - one reason I never liked tag ends for teasers was the tendency to hang up on your main line - the 90 degree angle should help.

Thanks Fred - excellent post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
I've been using this method for years with great success and never had the line break at the blood knot. It wirks very well.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top