BASS BARN banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New To Jigging.
The NC Trips Sound Like Fun, But Probably Not This Year For Me.
Trying To Gather Gear.

For The NJ Fishing Would 60# Line Be Good.

I am Going To Be Getting a OutFit In The 600$ Range.
Looking For A Conventional To Start.
The Jigs For NJ, What Would Be a few Good Ones to Carry .

Usually Fish From CapeMay To Pt Pleasant

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
For Jigs, u can't beat Jersey Jays selection of Jigs theyre a fraction of the cost of most jigs on the market 2day, and are high quality. For a great starter outfit that wont break the bank for NJ tuna I'd go with a Daiwa Saltist 40 or 50 2 speed they are great reels with super smooth drags, and will handle tuna up into the 200lb class. U can get away with a single speed, but I prefer the low gear when the tuna are stuck in the water column u can crank em up in low.Match it to a star plasma jigging rod eigther heavy or extra heavy. Star has a lifetime warranty and theyre made here in US. I have a Star Plasma XH , and caught Tuna up to 225#'s with out a hiccup this outfit will handle anything here in NJ, and half the fish in NC.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
welcome.
the JJ jigs are nice, hammered diamond and oti are a few to keep in the bag.
with a 600 budget there are alot of really good choices.
a 500 accurate would be good for our area.
you could match to a 350g custom budget in that price range

would be a good starter setup.
a cheaper reel with a BH or bushido or phenix is another way to go.
we are having a jig and pop day today.
if you are free stop by.
its great to feel the stuff

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Your in the ball park on the price range you have there. You can get yourself into a nice set up at that price.

60# HC is fine for Jersey, but with some manufacturers, you may find that 60# can cost more than 80# because of the work involved to manufacture it.

Rods= you have a couple choices. Nano Composites are going to eb the most expensive, but also the lightest & strongest. Regular Carbon Composites are going to be cheaper, yet still stronger than what we are used to seeing with graphite, glass rods. $220-$350 will put you into a rod that is perfect fro Jersey. While there are plenty of good manufactured rods today, I still feel that getting into a custom will benefit the fisherman when it comes to a jigging rod. Having a balanced combo, made to fit your comfort zone, will be the difference between you jigging 2 hrs or 12 hrs without your arms felling numb. I have a 250g rod for Jersey that I love. Going too heavy will take away on the jigs action sometimes. You want the jig & rod to work together in creating the swimming action.

Reels= many to choose from. Keep in mind that while all of the drag bragging is going on today in the reel world........the average person is going to watch the rod get ripped out of his/her hands at these higher ratings. Choosing a reel with 30-35# of drag should be more than enough to handle our fish, including the occasional surprise we find here in Jersey. Canyon, Shimano, Penn, Avet.....all have reels priced in your range that will do the job.

Jigs=This will be the single most important choice!! Lets face it.....without the fish biting, the rod & reel do mean nothing! If you cant hook up, nothing matters. Colors to choose...pink, blue, purple, green & glow seem to be the hottest colors on average days. Each will be more effective on a certain day, depending on bait and water conditions. Jersey Jay's, Spanko Jigs, Cape May Tackle are 3 of my favorites. You can also find some great jigs at great prices once you get the idea of what works and when. There are some very good "cheap jigs" out there that will work better than an expensive jig at times. GLOW is a kick a$$ choice in our waters! Another thing to remember is that sometimes smaller is better. I have used some pretty small jigs here in NJ, with great results.

Terminal Tackle= using a solid or a Figure 8 Ring, will help you change jigs quicker, allow your jigs to swim with much more action and offer you more strength. I like to connect my Figure 8 Ring to my line, and use split rings to change jigs. I will never cut my leader and tie a new jig on. Wind Ons, or splicing direct into the HC are 2 top ways to do it. I mostly use 80# HC with a 50-60# leader, sometimes even 40# on those days when the fish are line shy as they say.

Its a learning game, often you will find that the most unusual things will work. I have seen days where things worked that defied all logic. :huh: My point is, dont be afraid to try things and follow your own instinct, not just what you read about from others. Many guys do not want you on their fish, so they are not honest with reports.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts