BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A reminder we are available for bottom fishing charters starting February 1, 2010 for Sea Bass, giant 5 lb plus Triggers and other fine tasting bottom dwellers down in Morehead City, NC.
We will also do combo trips where we troll in the Gulf Stream waters for Wahoo, Blackfin Tuna and possibly Giant Bluefin and spend part of the day bottom fishing the deep water rocks piles and wrecks. A little later in the spring there may even be Yellowfins showing up but the last few years they have been scare down there in the spring. If the Bluefins in the 150-200 lb range should show up like they did in March last year off Hatteras we will be jigging for them along with AJ’s up to 80-90 lbs that will test any anglers when caught on a jig. Anglers are allowed to keep one BFT less than 73 inches for the table if we catch one this size.
The bottom fishing is outstanding this time of year down off Morehead City, NC and it should be no problem loading up your cooler with tasty Sea Bass fillets and other great tasting fish caught on the hard corral bottom which is abundant down off MHC.
Here are some pictures we took recently between 20-30 miles off the coast while Giant Bluefin Tuna fishing showing the large schools of bottom fish. We can show everything we see up on the bridge on our 40 inch HD flat screen TV in the salon so our customers see exactly the structure, depth and schools of fish when they drop their jigs or baited rigs down.

The fish pictures and report was written Capt John (Procastinator on the Barn) as he will be working on the Hooked Up 11 since he now lives down in the Morehead City area and has endless list of great bottom structure locations that hold Sea Bass and an whole lot of other the tasty fish that can be caught on both jigs and top and bottom rigs.

Big Amberjack... a real back killer!

Nice sized grey trigger.... one of many.

Beautiful Queen trigger..... they are like a dolphin,they loose color after they come out of the water.:)

Seabass and Giant Triggers, w/ pics Again, the GBFT fishing has been painfully slow, so, Ricky and I got another case of fishing A.D.D. and went to the jigging rods for some action. We have freezers full of seabass fillets, and it was a beautiful day, so we went looking for for some other tasty critters. Triggers were on the menu, so we pushed off a bit deeper and found them. They were big and plentiful, however, the grouper turned on and wouldn't let us at the triggers. After having to vent and release grouper to over 50 lbs, it was apparent that we were gonna have to find them where they didn't have their grouper body guards wearing us out. We planned on spending the night offshore but our plans changed as we were informed we had a pair of guests joining us for tuna the next morning. We headed back in , only to turn around a couple hours later and grind on tuna again.

The tuna were a no show in the morning again so we took our guests Justice and his wife Angela jigging. They had a ball pulling up seabass, and Justice caught a large gag grouper for a nice picture and healthy release. We didn't get too serious on the seabass and we moved around a bit to check out some new wrecks with the flat calm 63 degree weather. It was a fun day with Angela being high hook, and me sitting on the bridge enjoying the endless ball busting. Ran back in slick conditions with another great day under our belts. Didn't keep too many seabass, just enough for a handful of meals for Justice and Angela.

It sure is nice to end a frustrating day chasing giants with some good old fashioned jigging. :)

Justice's First ever grouper.

·
Registered
677 Posts
john the last picture of that grouper what kind of grouper is that ???
it looks like a Goliath ?
if so... are the rules different than Florida i have seen on some of the fishing shows that they are not aloud to lift them out of the water
not busting balls just curious you certainly have the best and most informative posts on the the barn with the highest respect :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pricing for Sea Bass & other trips on the 55 Hooked Up 11 out of Morehead City, NC

Pricing for bottom fishing & Gulf Stream trips out of Morehead City, NC Feb, 1 thru late April 2010

$1800 all day combo Gulf Stream Trolling trip with half a day bottom fishing the deep water rock piles offshore. Primary target is WAHOO & Blackfin Tuna (Great Eating) with Mahi soon to be showing up & POSSIBLY some Yellowfins later in the spring plus the vast array of bottom fish: App 12 hours

All day Bottom fishing $1200.00 out to 30 miles 8-9 hours

1/2 day bottom fishing $900.00 out to 20 miles 5-6 hours

Note: If the Giant Bluefin are still around after Feb 1, 2010 and anyone would like trying for one it is all tag & release on tuna over 73 inches but one per day can be kept under 73 inches for the table. These would be special trips and we can split the day trolling for large Bluefin Tuna and bottom fish on these COMBO trips. Giants have showed up in past years in February so it is not out of the question but please contact us and we will share with any anglers the most updated information we have if any Bluefins are still around. Cost would be $1600.00 per day for one of these COMBO trips.

Note: Last March the Bluefin Tuna in the 65-70 inch (App 150-200 lbs) range showed up north of Morehead City, NC and these fish could be caught jigging or trolling and if they show again within range we will be offering some jigging only for BFT along with the large hard fighting Amber Jack that can get up to the 80-90 lb range which will test any angler on jigging tackle.

These prices are for up to 6 anglers maximum and currently there is a 15 per angler daily limit on Sea Bass plus the Grouper/Snapper season is now closed

We will do make-up trips for singles & parties and we offer a $100.00 discount to any group that books two days with us. We also offer 1/3 off to any active military personnel or group of senior citizens.

Please contact us if interested in additional information on any of these specific trips.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
john the last picture of that grouper what kind of grouper is that ???
it looks like a Goliath ?
if so... are the rules different than Florida i have seen on some of the fishing shows that they are not aloud to lift them out of the water
not busting balls just curious you certainly have the best and most informative posts on the the barn with the highest respect :thumbsup:

Actually it is a gag grouper, you can take them out of the water, you just can't take them home until May 1 st. :D

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Is the Grouper limit 5 in May?? Also when are Red Snapper in?
The grouper limit will be 3 per person I believe, red snapper is still up in the air as I understand it. Beeliners (Vermillion snappers) will be back May 1 st also and are some great eating. There is plenty to fish for on the bottom, cobia and african pompano are available, and there are plenty of wahoos, kings, and dolphin will be back in numbers before we know it. A nice gaffer was caught last week. :thumbsup:

There are sand tiles which are great eating, multiple types of porgies, grunts, hognose snappers, ect. The variety is amazing, you never know what is gonna pile on your bait.

Here is a pic from a half day gaffer session last spring.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
The grouper limit will be 3 per person I believe, red snapper is still up in the air as I understand it. Beeliners (Vermillion snappers) will be back May 1 st also and are some great eating. There is plenty to fish for on the bottom, cobia and african pompano are available, and there are plenty of wahoos, kings, and dolphin will be back in numbers before we know it. A nice gaffer was caught last week. :thumbsup:

There are sand tiles which are great eating, multiple types of porgies, grunts, hognose snappers, ect. The variety is amazing, you never know what is gonna pile on your bait.

Pro I will be calling you. Do you still have the same cell #? Last time i talked to you I belive your trailer was giving you trouble on the road.

·
Registered
11,411 Posts
Pro, I'm gonna give your brother a call and light a fire under his butt! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts

Do you guys do any freelining while you're bottom fishing? A lot of the headboats down there will let you flatline sardine and cigar minnows up top while they're anchored on the live bottom. More often than not, there are lots of kings and dolphin over the same live bottoms as the reef fish. It can definitely be some really fun, one stop shopping kind of fishing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Do you guys do any freelining while you're bottom fishing? A lot of the headboats down there will let you flatline sardine and cigar minnows up top while they're anchored on the live bottom. More often than not, there are lots of kings and dolphin over the same live bottoms as the reef fish. It can definitely be some really fun, one stop shopping kind of fishing :thumbsup:
Yeah, we call it a light line. It usually produces all the action you want. Dolphin and kings are real suckers when it comes to a nice little bunker swimming around the big water. The only down side is when you are on real good structure, amberjacks will be there in numbers, and once you crank a couple of those in , you tend to not set the light line out again til' your arms stop aching. :):)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.