Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From AC Press:

State Police rescue three men in Absecon Inlet
By PAT ARNEY Staff Writer, (609) 272-7204
Published: Friday, November 4, 2005
Updated: Friday, November 4, 2005

ATLANTIC CITY-State Police rescued three Philadelphia men after their boat capsized in Absecon Inlet on Tuesday in strong wind and rough seas.

Owner Fred Coulter Jr., 53, told police the trio was drift fishing at the entrance to the inlet when Coulter noticed a large amount of water in his 20-foot recreational fishing boat.

When Coulter's companions - Walter Young, 66, and Hakim Islam, 59, - moved to the stern of the boat to try to find the source of the water, the boat started to list, Coulter told police. The next wave overturned it.

The three men managed to cling to the hull until Sgt. Joseph Petruzzi and Staff Sgt. William Myers of the State Police Marine Station here arrived at the scene about 4:25 p.m.

Petruzzi and Myers were responding to a report of a capsized boat with three people in the water, police said. The two officers faced 15- to 20-knot winds, a strong incoming current and a 2-foot surface chop as they entered the inlet.

They found the boat about 50 yards south of Buoy No. 5, police said. They threw life vests to the three men in the water, to keep them afloat until they were pulled onto the State Police boat.

At that time, a U.S. Coast Guard patrol boat also arrived at the scene. Police said they asked the Coast Guard to stay with the capsized boat while they took the three fishermen to a warm environment.

The men told police they were cold and scared but didn't need medical attention. Petruzzi and Myers took the three fishermen to the State Police Marine Station, where they got out of their wet clothes and were given wool blankets and warm fluids.

"I thought we were going to die," police quoted Coulter as saying after he warmed up. "You guys saved our lives."

The Coast Guard and Sea Tow, a commercial boat-towing service, brought Coulter's boat to the State Police Marine Station, where it was righted, pumped out and loaded onto Coulter's trailer, police said. The boat had only minor damage.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I posted about this a few days ago when I saw the whole thing going down. 3 staties 1 coastie and 1 sea tow flew by me to the scene, which was just out of view. I only saw one rescuee being brought back though, and saw sea tow pulling the upside down boat back through the channel to behind brig.

·
Registered
228 Posts
How does this happen?

I have a 13 foot Boston Whaler and I have be fortunate so far. Is it the wind, the waves or a malfunction that makes these things happen?

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Usually all three are needed...but lack of "a feel for things" is usually a deadly combo....

A 13' Boston Whaler can handle a lot in good hands...that means 1 out of every 100 boaters...otherwise it's a fair day, backwater boat.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts