BASS BARN banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
The SW series is the 2009 upgraded version of the Stella FA series with, among other upgrades, more waterproofing seals throughout the reel body.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The SW series is the 2009 upgraded version of the Stella FA series with, among other upgrades, more waterproofing seals throughout the reel body.
Yes, there are better seals in the new 2008 SW series. I don't know which size you are referring to, so I will detail how the sealing have been improved by comparing the old 20000FA to the new 20000SW. I am most familiar with this size, but if you want to know about other size just tell me.

1) In FA the drag was sealed by the seal on the drag knob only. In SW there is a dedicated seal on top of the washer stack.

2) From underneath the spool: the spool hub which had the seal was fixed to the shaft in FA. That might or might not have compromised the seal every time the spool was removed and reinserted. In the SW 20000, the spool hub with the sealing remains in the spool when you remove it, therefore the seal remains protected.

3) The seal of the main shaft is much improved in SW with a conical head that sticks out from underneath the rotor nut cover.

4) The pinion/bearing assembly in the FA had a rubber seal secured by a wire spring. In the SW the seal is secured with a large screw-in cap that covers it entirely except the sticking conical head. In my opinion the best improvement of the sealing in this real.

5) The body of the SW has one less possible water entry point because the extra gear box that was used in FA to super slow the line lay was removed. That gear box in the FA had it's cap with a rubber seal, but theoretically its absence = less possible leakage spots.

6) The service port in the SW's body has a bigger seal fitted directly on the screw instead of under a removable cover in the FA.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts