BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From avalon south to wildwood there are no stick markers marking the back channels. Most areas are impossible to pass without them, mostly the ones from 18th at in nww out to the ICW.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Phil, I noticed that a couple weeks ago. If you know that channel at 18th, you can line up with the last house. During high tide it's not too bad if you take it slow. Low tide, I'd avoid it if possible. How can we get some permanent markers along there?

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil, I noticed that a couple weeks ago. If you know that channel at 18th, you can line up with the last house. During high tide it's not too bad if you take it slow. Low tide, I'd avoid it if possible. How can we get some permanent markers along there?
Yup exactly. They won't put permanent markers there because the channel shifts a little each year. My call to aids to navigation has not been returned...

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
WHERE IS Sen Van Drew This is right in the middle of his district OH I keep forgetting Van Drew waits until something serious happens and than he gets involved to assure maximum publicty

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
If you want something done right, do it yourself...some PVC pipe and a two pound hammer should do the trick nicely.

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I don't understand is that every April, they put them in. What changed this year that they haven't done them?

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Total Bullshit! :thumbsdown:
I saw more marine police, coast guard, and coast guard auxiliary out there than ever before this weekend and if their true reason to be out there is for boater safety they would be putting out channel markers!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Total Bullshit! :thumbsdown:
I saw more marine police, coast guard, and coast guard auxiliary out there than ever before this weekend and if their true reason to be out there is for boater safety they would be putting out channel markers!

It's not.....and the stick markers are only state...USCG has never and will never have nothing to do with them.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
It's not.....and the stick markers are only state...USCG has and will have nothing to do with them.

I honestly do not know who is in charge of putting them out there, but why are they not there? We are talking safety correct? That is enough reason for all of the agencies to be out there placing them to benefit all boaters.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
What you fail to realize in times of small budgets...what you think is important doesn't even make the agenda sheet for where to have lunch in Trenton.

Not marking the channel is hardly a safety issue unless you are a reckless boater. Travel unmarked waters at your own risk and travel unknown waters at a safe speed...what's so dangerous?

Don't get me wrong...I wonder where they are too...but in the big scheme of things and to non- boaters and non-fishemen....they don't think you taking a boat out and not being able to stay in a channel in the days of fishfinders and GPS is a big deal.

Act like the "me...me...me...society" and we will be doomed one way or the other....most people think boaters/fishermen have too much money and time on their hands anyhow.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Same up our way behind Ventnor/Margate. I fished Lakes bay over the weekend and there were no stick markers. Not sure who puts them out?? I thought it was the Pville yacht club or the clamers that deliver their clams to Randels. I also took note that the old barge is completely submerged at high tide. It is an accident waiting to happen. Only a matter of time before a jet skier runs over it. It needs a Danger Buoy on it.

Tight Lines & Safe Returns,
Saltshaker

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
I called the State Marine Police office in Atlantic City last evening. The watchstander didn't know that the stakes weren't out so not sure if I was talking to an on the water guy or not.

I may try working backwards from Trenton this week...the correct division (the one that operates the stake and no wake buoy placing boat) would be the ones to track down.

Not sure about the sunken barge...usually owner responsible for marking and removal. If not in or near a "marked" USCG recognized channel....the process can be slow or at a standstill. If anyone is injured..I'm sure the barge owner is responsible but good chance that money trail has since long dried up.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
FWIW and slightly different topic but the channel at marker 452 in Grassy Sound is now at most, 75 ft wide. If you are more than 50 ft from that marker at the bottom half of the tide you are in the sand. Lots of chocolate rooster tails this weekend.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
That barge has been there forever.... but with the higher water in the backbay this year, like SShaker said, it is a major injury waiting to happen, especially with all PWCs flying around like idiots back there....

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW and slightly different topic but the channel at marker 452 in Grassy Sound is now at most, 75 ft wide. If you are more than 50 ft from that marker at the bottom half of the tide you are in the sand. Lots of chocolate rooster tails this weekend.
The CG moved #452 over to the east this year. It has been moved too far over, the channel is less then 30ft wide now and there is plenty of water on the wrong side of it.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
WHERE IS Sen Van Drew This is right in the middle of his district OH I keep forgetting Van Drew waits until something serious happens and than he gets involved to assure maximum publicty
couldn't have said it better:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Having ran aground 2 yrs. ago & given a ticket because my son was injured, the responsibility is ALWAYS on the boat capt.
we were running between Cape May & Stone Harbor heading through the old RR bridge. Running about 15-16 MPH, we ran completely around between the red & green channel markers about 200 yds past bridge.
State police gave me a ticket to going too fast for conditions.
State police said if someone gets hurt it is the boat capt. that is ultimately responsible. Does not matter the circumstance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts